I Supercharged a 2005 Cavalier - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I Supercharged a 2005 Cavalier
Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:43 PM
All parts from a 2004 Ion Redline in the junk yard. I was able to mostly follow the GMPP kit instructions.

List of modifications required:
Intercooler inlet/outlet bent down
lower air dam removed
custom intercooler brackets out of pipe hanger straps.
Intercooler pump wired to ignition switched source with toggle switch to kill it if needed.
Intake elbow from a 2002 cavalier (works with stock airbox or cone filter)
cut stock airbox where it connects to the throttle body to use as an adapter/spacer for 2002 intake elbow
bent the dipstick tube
custom throttle body adapter plate made with a drill press
HP Tuners custom 1 bar tune I did myself
I had to put 14mm stainless steel flat washers under the injector spacers because they are shorter than stock.
broke off two static fins from the cooling fan to clear intercooler plumbing
extended MAP and IAT wires
used TMAP for IAT signal
blocked off supercharger silencer ports with stainless shetmetal
boost referenced fuel pressure
shortened the coolant overflow hose by 1 inch

I'm not sure I'm posting the pictures correctly.

Pics are in a Google album here

Re: I Supercharged a 2005 Cavalier
Friday, August 23, 2019 4:21 AM
A few other mods required:
Ground a 1/4 in off an unused mounting boss on the passenger side of th block to clear the belt tensioner.
Ground a 1/16 in deep x 1/4 in wide by 1 in long groove on the head to connect the pcv ports.
Cut 1 rib off of the LSJ belt from 6 to 5 with sheet metal snips.
***The intake duct was specifically from an LD9 engine.
Had to pull the TPS and IAC wires out of the harness and re-loom them to reach the relocated throttle body.
Used a long piece of pcv hose and pcv adapter fitting to conect the valve cover vent to the LD9 intake duct.
Made a braket to mount the fuel rail cover to the head.
I bent an ac line a little from the compressor to clear the LSJ alternator. There was a bit of persuading of wires, hoses, and brackets between the intake manifold and radiator to keep stuff from rubbing over time.
I think thats it...
Wednesday, September 18, 2019 8:49 AM
Also the starter wire needed to be rotated about 90° to miss the intake manifold.

Another picture

Attachments
small 20181203_080715.jpg (1502k)

Sunday, October 06, 2019 4:31 PM
How does it run?
Tuesday, October 08, 2019 8:33 AM
It runs really well on 93 octane. It pulls hard all the way to red line at about 6700 rpm. About 10 psi boost. It pulls best above 5000 rpm when a little more timing advance can be afforded without knock. The injector duty cycle goes well into the 90% range at 12:1 AFR. I probably put in 80 hours in tuning, but it resulted in little to no sacrifice in fuel economy. It has about 6k miles supercharged, at this point. Only a wheel bearing and axle clip have complained.
Wednesday, October 09, 2019 5:08 AM
From experience 12:1 is a bit lean. The usual safe area is 11.5ish:1. Also any IDC above 85% is considered maxxed out and you should jump to a larger injector.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:23 AM
I'm aware of the 80%-85% IDC rule. The injectors are stock LSJ and I was surprised the duty cycle climbed that high. The commanded AFR ramps down from 12.0:1 below 4000 rpm to 11.7:1 in the last PE cell. Actual AFR follows commanded decently well, about ±0.2:1. I should have some duty cycle headroom in the mid-rpm range to get the AFR closer to mid 11.x:1. Maybe that will enable me to advance timing a degree or two in that area?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search