experiance needed - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
experiance needed
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 1:21 PM
whats goin on guys, i dont want to blow the forum up with "i need helps", but i just dont know what to do. i have never played with transmitions, and after talking to my dad, he starts telling me that i may need a tranny. but he is used to manual shift linkage, and v8s, so i figured i would post up here and see what you guys think.

well today i was leaving my gf's house, not a problem yet, nothing weird at all. i am sitting at the light on a hill, and the light goes green, i accelerate through the intersection fine, and then as soon as i go for 2nd gear, she popped out of gear. i was babying the car, stepping in it hard at all. i just assumed it was not fully ingaged, she went back in 2nd just fine after that. i park in the target lot, to go get the new linkin park cd, which is awsome, and then i go to leave. she didnt pop the first time i put her in second, but when i left the light she did it in the middle of the highway. now, i am sitting here in the middle of the highway trying to figure out wtf is goin on. i decide to just skip second till i got to the house, trying to not make things worse. i wasnt thinking, and downshifted to 2nd, and she stayed in gear, but as soon as i stepped on the gas at all, she popped out.

could this be a need of adjustment? or worse? is there anything i can check to help diagnose this problem???? i am shooting into the dark here, somone please guide me!

Re: experiance needed
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:31 PM
The nylon tips on the shift fork for first and second are jacked up. You need either another tranny, or to replace the shift fork for first and second gear. Getting the part is going to be the hard/expensive part. Replacing it is not bad at all. See this post Tranny pictures
It has many picture of the tranny apart. Should be helpful if you decide to do the work yourself. Also from personal experience just skip second gear. It will get worse and start grinding. I actually had to replace my second gear because I had grinding half of it away.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 10:32 PM
well thanks for the heads up, i have probly put her into 2nd 10 or so times trying to figure out wtf is wrong. right before i read this post, i decided to skip 2nd, just in case. i just got a job at a shop by my house, so... when i get some cash flow again i should be golden for this... anyone know the turn around times on the team green lsd?

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:47 AM
Brian can get you the LSD within a couple days, provided he has the plates and springs in stock.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:30 AM
ok cool. well i am planning on waiting a bit on this, i got a few other things i gotta take care of $$$ wise. but heres my question. if it is the 1st/2nd shift fork, then why is first fine????

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:49 PM
ZtwatyFo wrote:ok cool. well i am planning on waiting a bit on this, i got a few other things i gotta take care of $$$ wise. but heres my question. if it is the 1st/2nd shift fork, then why is first fine????

Because of the angle of second gear. I had this exact some thing happen.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:21 PM
well i guess i need a spare tranny to throw in. and then i can tear this one down to see exactly what the hell is wrong. now assuming i skip second gear, if i wait for a while to do this to get the $$$ right i will be good. right?

Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:08 PM
ZtwatyFo wrote:well i guess i need a spare tranny to throw in. and then i can tear this one down to see exactly what the hell is wrong. now assuming i skip second gear, if i wait for a while to do this to get the $$$ right i will be good. right?

I drove mine for 6 months with no second gear (of course I had already done the damage at that point).

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:09 PM
so i am at work right now looking at alldata and i can not find a single bit of information on the shift forks other than part numbers and aproxx prices. can anyone help?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search