please help me with this problem - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
please help me with this problem
Friday, May 18, 2007 8:43 AM
first off let me say that i am a j-body newb... i have a 2000 Z24 with the getrag 5 speed and it has 105K miles on it. last night the differentail blew out of it. i am very mechanically inclined and would like to fix this problem myself but i cant find much for replacement parts. would a used getrag diff be worth the time and $ involved. this car is not my race car... just my daily driver so i need a cost effective way of fixing this problem. can anyone list where i could get a budget minded part for this problem? a replacement differential would be ideal. thanks!

Re: please help me with this problem
Friday, May 18, 2007 8:51 AM
Those trannys are a bit rare (where I live anyway), but if the only damage is to your diff, and nothing else, your best bet would be to try and find one in a late model car smashed in a junkyard. If your having it done by someone else, and have to pay labor, it might be easier just to buy a used tranny and have it installed to lower labor costs. Either way, if you go to GM there going to charge the crap out of you for new parts. I think the rebuilt tranny in my car cost me around $800 from a salvage yard, if that helps any.

Re: please help me with this problem
Friday, May 18, 2007 8:57 AM
well that is a start... i am going to be doing all of the work myself and from what i can tell so far it looks liek the diff is the only damage. i guess i will do some calling around. i am not to excited about taking a lot of time to rebuild a whole tranny or swapping in a used one that will probably have the same problem. maybe the GM parts or an alternative is the way to go to keep it quick and simple. thanks for the quick help. anybody else have any more ideas?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search