WTF... auto wont shift at redline after some mods... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
WTF... auto wont shift at redline after some mods...
Friday, May 18, 2007 8:56 PM
ok, so over the winter i installed:

TTR upper mount
rsm UD alum. crank pulley
venom intake manifold
smg 58mm TB
and had the VCM custom tuned by shifted tuning using hp tuners

read my registry for previous mods. (not that much)

i got the car on the road for the first time this week, i didnt beat on it whatsoever for a few days, just wanted to make sure everything was kosher etc. so tonight i decide what the hell and i punch it... car runs EXTREMLY well, pulls real hard all the way to the new redline of 6700... then WAM car WILL NOT shift, damn thing bounces off the rev limter until you back off, THEN it shifts... but u gotta drop the rpm's like 1000 to get it to shift.

the tranny doesnt slip, grind.. make noises, NOTHING, as far as i know its heathy as hell, it shifts through the gears just fine under normal driving and under hard driving as long as its not "get the @!#$ after it" then you hammer it and it doesnt shift at all.

ive check every vaccum line/connection they all seem to be just fine.

it goes in to get the fluid flushed in 2 weeks, changing the filter as well. i really hope i didnt screw something up by beatin on it.

any ideas as to why it wont shift?

Re: WTF... auto wont shift at redline after some mods...
Friday, May 18, 2007 9:03 PM
sounds like something with the tune that would be the only cause, it's electronicly controlled

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Friday, May 18, 2007 9:06 PM
The01Cav wrote:sounds like something with the tune that would be the only cause, it's electronicly controlled

i havnt yet installed my autotrans interceptor... maybe that would help.....

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:13 PM
I agree sounds like something to do with the tune. Maybe line pressure has been raised so it does not want to shift under WOT at that RPM. I do not think autotrans will help. Heck not sure if I would run autotrans on it anyways. Talk with shifted.

FU Tuning

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:13 PM
that wont make any difference on when the trans will shift on wide open throttle, maybe he set the limiter a lil lower then the wot shift points. Get in contact with him and let him know whats going on with it. May need to be reflashed a lil bit.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Friday, May 18, 2007 9:35 PM
The01Cav wrote:May need to be reflashed a lil bit.

FTL

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:42 PM
sorry man just figured I would give you a idea at what your looking at. I hope it all works out for ya. The car is coming along quite well though otherwise!

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Saturday, May 19, 2007 7:09 AM
I'd have to agree.
It's in the ECM and I'm guessing that you had it tuned with HPT.
Autotrans won't do squat as the ECM still controls the basics while the 'trans unit modifies that information for line pressure and TCS function.

Quote:

car runs EXTREMLY well, pulls real hard all the way to the new redline of 6700... then WAM car WILL NOT shift, damn thing bounces off the rev limter until you back off, THEN it shifts... but u gotta drop the rpm's like 1000 to get it to shift.

The above says it's in the tune.
There was something that was missed in tuning that the ECM sees, overrides, and tries to keep to stock parameters.

I'm no expert on HPT but would think that you need to have just a minor retune of the tranny shift points done to alleviate your problems.
Just don't stress anything until you get this remedied.

Good luck zyaaaa.
Let us know how it all comes out and again, shouldn't take much to get you back on track.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, May 19, 2007 7:28 AM
welp shifted said he would look over my tune today and see if anything is out of wack. i really hope that it isnt, i really dont want to wait all that time again to get it straightend out. hate to say it but i may have to wait until the end of the summer to get it fixed, or if i can find a cheap 98 z24 automatic ECU ill just send IT to him.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 7:33 AM
Can you just hit the junkyard and do an ECU swap until you get yours fixed?
It seems like your car IS driveable but you won't be able to hit the redlined shiftpoints that your car is capable of.
Just enjoy your car and take it easy with it. But then again, I'd guess that to be hard. I'd be pulling hairs if I couldn't get a full throttle run every now and then. lol
Good luck man, don't let it get you down.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, May 19, 2007 11:37 AM
lower the MPH on the shift points

you have to be over the MPH in order for it to shift

Saturday, May 19, 2007 1:29 PM
[quote=97trd(???™)]lower the MPH on the shift points

are u saying that the car doesnt have enough oomph for the tune? lol, sorry.... but yeah, kinda makes sense

Saturday, May 19, 2007 3:11 PM
have you tried manny shifting? meaning starting out in 1 or 2 and gettin it to redline and just shifting yourself?

www.alterimpact.com
www.cardomain.com/id/sweet98gagt
Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:31 PM
I can't find anything wrong with your tune, but I'm going to get a couple second opinions on it. I'm more than willing to change your transmission stuff back to stock. I will keep digging.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, May 19, 2007 9:59 PM
z yaaaa wrote:[quote=97trd(???™)]lower the MPH on the shift points

are u saying that the car doesnt have enough oomph for the tune? lol, sorry.... but yeah, kinda makes sense

when i was playing with my car and a friends and using HPT , if the MPH was bumped up a little to high it wouldnt shift , or would hit the rev limiter a couple times then shift , my cav was famous for it , and it got worse when i put the 235/60/15 drag radials on it

even with the shift rpm at 6400 to 6800 , and rev limiter at 7200 , i couldnt find a happy medium , but i never played with it constantly , i ended up with close to stock settings and left the shift plus on 2

Monday, May 21, 2007 5:54 AM
Here is everything I changed with respect to your transmission...

RPM Limiter is now set to 6700 RPM...

This one is the actual numbers...

The rest of these are the amount that they were changed in each cell

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:03 AM
And before anybody asks... I did not change the part throttle or WOT shift speeds.

The auto tranny is very finicky, I blew one up already, so I generally don't do a whole lot unless the customer knows exactly he/she wants changed, and to what values.

Monday, May 21, 2007 8:49 AM
ron, ok... so basically... something is wrong on my end? is that what ur trying to show me? (sorry, after that first rpm pic i didnt understand a damn thing )

if so, im getting a fluid flush and a filter change very soon, you think that might help?

if not i really cant see anything else to do other that sending the VCM back to you and getting it tweaked. do you think if we just raised the redline to say 7000 that it would give the tranny enough rpm to shift before the rev limiter? (only changing the rev limiter to 7000 and not doing ANYTHING else)

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:43 PM
any word or luck with the car yet?

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:33 PM
nope, i just dont beat on it lol... it doesnt get driven too much anyways, its fine while just driving.

i have a huge car show ive been waiting to go to all winter on june 2, after that... i might rip the VCM out and send er' back to ron-well see.

i really would like to find a 98 auto VCM to buy to just have just in case, i dont have much cash though so thats probly out.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 8:14 PM
search ebay now and then pcms sell for cheap on there

Friday, May 25, 2007 10:07 AM
97-99 pmcs are all the same no matter the motor or trans , its the programing that is different on them

so it would be just a matter of getting a pcm and reflashing it

Thursday, May 31, 2007 2:39 PM
So the rev limit is up to 6700, shift points up to 6500, did you raise the mph shift values to match it?

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:33 PM
thats totally normal
do you have a 4T40 or a 3T40?

I just cant drive 55
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:18 PM
Its not normal for a 4T40E which is what he has.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search