speedometer - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
speedometer
Friday, May 25, 2007 9:52 AM
for some reason my speedometer went out... i was told that it could either be one of the 2 speed sensors or the speedometer cable. the speedometer goes up to 10... i cruised beside my buddy doing 85mph, and it only reached 10mph. any awnsers?

Re: speedometer
Friday, May 25, 2007 2:39 PM
I can't help with the problem but I can give some very good advice. DO NOT let the guy who told you your '96 cav has a speedometer cable work on your car.
Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:48 PM
most cars have a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) attached to the tranny somewhere. it ususally has a plastic gear that is turned by the transmission output shaft, and sends an elec. signal to the computer, which tells the speedometer how high to go. the plastic gear wears out over time. on an automatic, this is usually a prob. because the trans. doesn't know when to shift. i'm not sure where it is on our cars, or even if this is exactly how our VSSs work. this is just general knowlege i think might be a starting point in discovering the source of your prob.
Sunday, June 03, 2007 7:57 PM
Your VSS is probably dead. It should be on the output side (differential) of the transmission somewhere. Probably up top, close to the firewall on the driver side. There's no cable, and no plastic gears to it. It's all magnetic, totally electronic.

Also, has your check engine light come on at all? It should as some point show a code for low output from the VSS.

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:41 PM
will driving the car this way cause any damage..Mine just went and now the tranny sounds weired..Any help will be welcomed..Thanks
Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:29 PM
If the tranny is detonating, and throwing pieces around... which has affected the VSS, say, by smashing it.... then yes, that could cause damage. Not likely, but it's possible!!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:17 AM
im getting a new getrag and may just end up with an extra vss let me know if iterested

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE, i have already died once and im still here so lets just leave it on the track
Sunday, March 30, 2008 8:07 PM
I'm also having problems with my speedo. We just put in a new engine and don't know why it not working
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search