Roll pin replacement - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Roll pin replacement
Friday, May 25, 2007 6:40 PM
So yea, my tranny is stuck in 2nd gear. no neutral, no nothing. The spling thingy that goes into the transmission won't even rotate at all.....so my question is...

Can you replace the roll pin with the tranny still in the car? Or would I be better off taking the tranny off and doing it on the bench?

Thanks!

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Re: Roll pin replacement
Sunday, May 27, 2007 11:16 PM
Ok, so it seems like no one knows what the hell I'm talking about.....

The bar that connects the transmission to the shift linkage, that sits on the tranny. You've got your up/down and side/side linkage's.....they are both connected to the same bar that goes into the tranny. There is a pin there, I think it's an alan head, maybe a torx bit....ionno only got a good look at it for a few seconds before I almost drove the car into a river lol....

Is there an easy way to fix that??? Like, could I drop those bolts on that plate that hold the bar there and pull out the shift fork? How would I go about doing that, like how would I mark it to make sure I got it put back in the way it's supposed to?

Or do I have to drop the entire tranny?? I just drop the subframe and then drop the tranny right? Or can I get away with not touching the subframe??

Thanks to anyone who responds!!!!!

2000 Camaro V6.

Monday, May 28, 2007 12:04 AM
I hope ahfunaki doesn't mind, but since I suck at explaining things lol.....

The thing inside the red square represents what I'm trying to explain. It sits through the bar and makes it spin. I'm just going to drop the tranny, as it seems easier than shoving my big ass hands in there and trying to unbolt those 5 bolts the pull the shifter assembly out. I just need to know a part number by chance??? I need to go and get this so I have it for this weekend. Or maybe there is a general part out there that I can use? Maybe a tougher bolt so I don't break it again?

Again, Thanks to anyone that helps me out!!!!

2000 Camaro V6.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:48 AM
Since my car is stuck in 2nd gear can I take this out and still drive it??? Like would I leak fluid if this was taken out?? Sorry dumb question.....

2000 Camaro V6.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:41 AM
Nevermind fixed it after that post. After GM giving me the run around and me talking to my Dad, I just stuck a roll pin in there with some thread lock and I now have 1st-5th and reverse. Hope it stays...

2000 Camaro V6.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:16 PM
wow, you didnt get a whole lot of help.....

Glad you got it fixed..... sort of at least.

You can pull that whole assembly out.... its those 6 torx bolts, and that one inverted torx on the side (just to the right of the top most torx bolt)

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:16 PM
Yea that's what I was planning on doing originally, but seeing that there were bolts underneath the assembly I decided to drop the tranny. But that didn't even happen. I got a drill bit through the hole, and managed to move it up into 1st so I could get a better angle. Then put it in third so I could drive down to the dealership. Burning the clutch the whole way lol.....

Got the roll pin in there, and man was it a TIGHT fit, took about an hour or so to get it through. I couldn't even use a hammer like your supposed to, I had to pry it in there with a long ass flathead. It would move just a little bit every time. But it's in there, and I'm going to flare out the ends tomorrow so it stays in there good.

2000 Camaro V6.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 3:45 AM
Well I popped the hood today to see how it was doing and it's not there anymore.....but I still have all my gears....wth

I'm hoping it will last till I can get to the yard and hopefully find a 5spd getrag and rip the bolt out of it....

2000 Camaro V6.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:54 AM
So you have ALL the gears and theres no pin? I dont see how that would be possible....

Thursday, June 14, 2007 1:04 AM
I'm thinking there is still a piece of it still in there....I'm just going to carry around an extra one and a long ass flathead just incase it pops out while I'm driving. I've been looking at the junkyards around here for a 00+ manual, but they have none

2000 Camaro V6.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 6:21 AM
I know Chris (SpeedRacer's friend) had this problem. I think he welded in a pin. Can you not drill the hole out and put a bolt with a nut on it? Need a shifter assembly?

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:46 PM
Yea that's what I was thinking of doing. But I dunno if I can pull the shift fork assembly out without dropping the tranny....

Do you have an assembly for sale?? PM me if ya do

2000 Camaro V6.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:53 PM
Nevermind. My tranny went out on the way to the Roby all GM show up in Marysville.....got a tow to my Dad's work, dropped the subframe and the tranny down about 6 inches. Atleast enough to get at the roll pin straight. Come to find out I had a piece of the OEM roll pin still in there, along with the one I put in there 3 weeks ago lol....drilled those out and put another one in. Had my dad tack weld it on the sides. And all I have to say is my shifts are sooo much firmer now. It's like new and I love it. So thanks for the ideas guys

2000 Camaro V6.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search