getrag/muncie swap... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
getrag/muncie swap...
Monday, May 28, 2007 10:40 AM
Hey, i have an 89 sunbird 2.0L 5 speed that i was wanting to swap the trans. out in for the getrag/muncie 5 speed... anyone know what all cars have these? i know the 2.0 turbo has it.. and i heard the 2.8 and 3.1 have it?? should any of them fit as long as its the 282? just drop in kind of swap.. no mods for it? hope you can help, and thanks in advance

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"

Re: getrag/muncie swap...
Monday, May 28, 2007 10:50 AM
no not drop in out of all those cars cuz im pretty sure the v6 bellhousing is different, just look into 92 and lower gam gts, berrettas, achievas, olds 442, im not sure but i think it comes off the 2.3 ho, so look for those but 92 below cuz u need external slave correct?

Monday, May 28, 2007 11:04 AM
yep, external slave... so like basically anything below 92 should just be a drop in bolt on? as long as its not a V6?

Monday, May 28, 2007 12:31 PM
idk about drop in, where did you hear you can swap the 282 on ur 2.0, id go back there and search or wait for someone else to chime in cuz i no nothing about ur set up, all i no about is i swapped the internal slave 93 nvg t550 on my 2.4, and i no the v6 bell housing is different, also 92< is external slave.. but thats where my knowledge runs out

Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:17 PM
one of my friends told me that.. well they said the 282 would fit, you just have to swap out the bellhousings.. what trans. fits the 2.0??

Friday, June 01, 2007 5:29 AM
IIRC, the 2.0L OHC bellhousing is the same as the 60V6, meaning any HM282 should work.

gmanz24: Yes, the LG0/LD9 bellhousing is different from anything else, but like I said, I think the 2L and 60V6 patterns are the same.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Friday, June 01, 2007 12:11 PM
alright sounds good, thats why i didnt want to lead him on the wrong path, cuz i no nothing about his motor

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:28 PM
getrag/munci I think that is the MJ1 if so it is on any cavi with the 2.4(Quqd 4) motor and I think its on the the pontiac fiero not sure

I just cant drive 55
Monday, June 11, 2007 7:56 PM
Didnt the 2.0 turbo sunbirds come with the getrag/muncie trans.? i might be wrong... but i thought they did... and so basically i can use the trans. out of the fiero GT V6?

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:23 AM
Quote:

getrag/munci I think that is the MJ1 if so it is on any cavi with the 2.4(Quqd 4) motor and I think its on the the pontiac fiero not sure

Stop breathing. Now.

- Fiero? See below answer.
- No stock 2.4L EVER came with an HM282. 2.3L Quad 4s did, but only in High Output/W41 trim. 2.4L Twin Cams used an Isuzu transmission until 2000, when they switched to another Getrag model, which is different than the earlier Muncie/Getrag.

Quote:

and so basically i can use the trans. out of the fiero GT V6?

Possibly. Make sure that the MT out of the Fiero isn't a Muncie 4 speed, which were used up until mid-year 1986. Also, there are always parts listings for the Isuzu 76mm being used in the V6 Fieros. I've never seen/owned one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Also, if you use the Fiero transmission, you will have to partially disassemble the transmission to replace the linkage with one from a front engine model; the Fiero's is a mirrored, albiet backwards, version of the front engine linkage.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:25 PM
Wow.

So you have an 89 Sunbird, 2.0 OHC. ok.

why do you want to swap out the tranny? only reason is if it's broken, but you didn't say anything about that so....?

2.0 OHC motors, IIRC, have a unique bellhousing bolt pattern. i'd have to see one off of a car, but i dont believe it shares it with anything else.

2.0 n/a(crap ) got an isuzu tranny, i think.
2.0 turbo got the getrag, yes, and will bolt right up. Has different gearing than the izusu, and also one gear is different from the V6 getrag.

To put a regular old hm-282 on a 2.0 you'd need the 2.0 turbo bellhousing, but if you have one of those, you'd already have a 282 now wouldnt you? so unless it was blown up it'd be pointless to swap it over.

14.84 @ 92.04mph

Outdated sig pic FTW!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:59 PM
Ok... i dotn really want to have to modify one.. so i think ill just get one out of a turbo sunbird

RedBird: The reason i want to swap over to the muncie/getrag trans. is because my sunbird is a 2.0L N/A ... it had the izusu trans. Im going to go turbo, and have LOTS of mods on the engine, so everyone i talked to said when i got up there in power, my izusu trans wouldnt be worth S*** ... all recomended swaping the the muncie/getrag trans. as it will be much stronger and able to support the added power...

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:32 PM
ah ok, i get it. sorry, i'm just not used to people modding the n/a 2.0, i didn't even think of you going turbo LOL. it all makes sense now.

yeah getrags have been put behind around 500ft/lbs in built turbo V6 cavs, so, you'll have little to worry about as long as you take care of it.

14.84 @ 92.04mph

Outdated sig pic FTW!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:42 PM
Yea... you know anywhere id be bale to get one of those tranies cheap?? and also... if i told ya what im wantin to do to my sunbird.. think u could give me an estemate of how much HP it should make? thanks

also, is the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, clutch cables ect. the same from the 2 trans.

Friday, September 21, 2007 4:12 PM
Ok, well now i have the trans. but i was also wondering, will everything work from the old one? i mean i know it bolts up and all, but will the cables from the shifter all be ok and everything?? stuff like that, thanks

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:02 PM
Ok, well i think i know what will work... the muncie i have with the shifter cables from a turbo bird or GA... the slave and master cylinder (clutch) from a 88-94 V6 sunbird or cavi... and i think it should work... is this correct? thanks

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 12:47 PM
The master from a V6/HM282 should work. Might want to double check to make sure the slave doesn't have a different connection or mounting points though. Doubtful it would, but wouldn't hurt to find out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search