Installed B&M shifter, now car wont shift right - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installed B&M shifter, now car wont shift right
Friday, June 01, 2007 11:25 AM
I recently installed a B&M short throw shifter. Now I have a hard time up shifting into 3 and down shifting into 4. Is there some kind of adjustment that I am not aware of?

2nd Place is the first loser

Re: Installed B&M shifter, now car wont shift right
Friday, June 01, 2007 11:35 AM
define hard....cause thge b&m is supposed to make it shift harder

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Friday, June 01, 2007 12:08 PM
As in, it wont go unless I double cluch or the gears just grind

Friday, June 01, 2007 8:27 PM
I see you also posted on that other thread about grinding third- did you eliminate all those other things (synchros, shift forks,etc.) as the source of the prob. already?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:56 AM
Thats just it. I'll be honest here. I don't now a whole lot about tranys. I just got done turboing my car and want to drag race it so i put the shifter on. But I really dont know even where to start on this issue. i am thinking about just putting the shifter back to stock because I think I may have hurt something internal and want to start eliminating what could be wrong with it.

Saturday, June 02, 2007 6:15 PM
Cable clips misalgned when you put the B&M one in?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 8:34 PM
I followed the direction that came with the B&M. I thought I did everything right. By cable clips you mean where the shifter cables attach to the actual shifter? If so how would they have gotten misaligned?

Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:20 AM
there should be adjusters on the shift cables, assuming you adjusted these, its not in the shifter unless you totally @!#$ somthing up.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:53 PM
This really bums me out. I am usually really good with car stuff. But man i must suck w/ tranys. Ok when I hooked up the cables I didnt adjust anything. i just popped off the cables tore the factory shifter out swapped the parts around, installed the B&M and snapped the cables back on. Where do I need to adjust? Is it at the trany or inside the car at the shifter?

Thanks for all the help guys. I feel like such a dumb a55. I just want to get my car working right so I can go drag racing.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 4:07 PM
wow sorry about my post, i though it said b&m shifplus. for the autos...my bad..lol

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Sunday, June 03, 2007 9:06 PM
The end of the cables are ribbed so the clips have soemthing to grab.

Did you mark the cable before you removed the shifter? I think Wild Weazer's how to stressed that part so you can get the clips back in where they belong.

With the car off, does shifting into the other gears fell just as hard, or do they slide right in?

Monday, June 04, 2007 3:10 PM
No I didnt mark anything I dont recall the directions saying to mark anything.

Monday, June 04, 2007 6:48 PM
Please keep in mind this is a 98z . It has the isuzu trany (I was told there is no adjustment to these cables)?

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 3:57 AM
Oh, your right I was thinking 00+ INSTALL.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search