Transmission Hesitation when Cornering - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission Hesitation when Cornering
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:20 PM
2001 Sunfire 2dr SE with Automatic Trans.

Accelerates and shifts fine in a straight line, but when cornering and getting back on the gas, it will rev up like the trans is slipping then accelerates normally when it straightens out.

The trans oil pan was recently replaced due to damage, they supposedly replaced the filter and refilled the trans at that time. Could this be caused by low transmission fluid? It is a pain in the ass to check the fluid on the 4spd Auto, but if this is a possibility, I will check it.

Any other ideas?

Re: Transmission Hesitation when Cornering
Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:15 AM
Well, Seems what youare explaining, My 01 cavalier does the same thing, Also auto's have a small delay, Of course the automatic tracation control also has to adjust, In corners, Worn tranny mount could be lamed, Strut tower brace may need to be added, Worn strut mount bushings, Lower are bushings would be worn, Basically you could have a problem, with those area's, Sounds to me just tranny is getting older with age, Not as solid as new, Long as you dont have major clumps of metal shavings in the tranny pan youre tranny should be good shape. Unless it starts slipping.

Good Luck.
Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:59 AM
To me it sounds like your low on fluid.
It is a pain in the ass to check the fuild on a 4T40-E or 4T45-E transmission. If I remeber correctly. You check it by removing a bolt, after the trans is up to operating temperature, and put your small finger in the hole....to see if you can fell the top of the fluid. Add fluid drive, and then do it all over again. Its a pain.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, June 01, 2007 6:27 PM
Agreed, it's low on fluid and you'll need about a quart to remedy the situation.
I've been there and done that so your malady is identical to what I experienced.

Good luck.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, June 02, 2007 12:46 AM
out of curiosity what happens if you put too much fluid in? I know in my thunderbird and the AOD transmission it would just vent the excess fluid. It made a mess but no harm done.

I have been told that its bad, no one can ever tell me why though
Saturday, June 02, 2007 6:05 AM
It's ok to overfill a little bit but if you're 1 to 2 quarts over, can cause problems.
Overfilling may cause slippage, seal damage and overheating.
Because transmission fluid doesn't compress, and air does, severe overfilling may make the fluid become aerated. This could cause abnormal operation.

Hope this answers your questions.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:48 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to go check the fluid level and see what I find.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:07 PM
yes it could.

whats the mileage on the car?

I just cant drive 55
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 7:42 PM
Alright, I referred to my GM Service Manual and found the bolt to check the level. After removing, nothing came out and my finger wouldn't fit in the hole, so I followed the procedure in the manual to add 0.5L and check to see if it is leaking from the hole. I ended up adding a quart (almost 1L) before it started coming out of the hole. So, it should be full now.

I will have my wife drive it around for the next few days and see how it feels.

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 1:44 PM
One detail, the engine should be on to properly check the auto trans fluid level...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search