2003 Z24 clutch engages too quickly - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2003 Z24 clutch engages too quickly
Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:52 AM
Hi folks! This is my first posting on j-body.

I recently aquired a nice looking 2003 Cavalier Z24. Most everything is fine but the clutch engages too rapidly. You let out and about
1/3 of the way up or so it grabs rapidly and solidly without letting you ease into it. My first reaction was, 'Oh, this is a Z24 so this is
some sort of sporty option to allow rapid shifts'. Is this the case or is this 'binary clutch' something that is out of whack?

Also, on this year of Cavalier do all Z24's have a Getrag 5-speed tranny?

Thanks for any help!

Re: 2003 Z24 clutch engages too quickly
Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:21 AM
Probably an aftermarket clutch.

Since 2000 if it's a manual tranny its a Getrag.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:51 AM
BBZ, by aftermarket clutch do you mean a 'sport' style clutch or a clutch that isn't in line with normal specs (i.e. junk el-cheapo brand!)?

Everything I see on the car screams 'stock' at me. That's why I don't think the clutch is some sort of aftermarket sport style type but I could be wrong. It's possible somebody replaced the clutch and then didn't like it grabbing the way it does and just got rid of the car.

Is there any sort of adjustment I can make? The clutch pressure feels okay but it reminds me of a cam that actuates it. The 'cam' has a flat lobe (no clutch action) on it rather than an arch (slight clutch action) to it's peak and then it has a sharp peak where it engages. I don't know enough about clutches on a car (yet), just my analogy.
Friday, June 26, 2009 8:23 AM
the first time i drove a twin plate clutch i thought the same thing. Does it surge if you hold the pedal at its grabbing point? or does it make a sound similar to a throw out bearing going bad? these could be signs of an aftermarket performance clutch

Friday, June 26, 2009 1:26 PM
I'll pay some more attention to it next time I drive it. I don't think it made any sounds but I do remember what seemed like faint pulses being transmitted the whole way up. I'll take notes and get back to you here.

off topic: since your handle is 'Whiskerbiscuit' I'm guessing you hunt with a compound bow. True?
Monday, June 29, 2009 7:37 AM
Well me and my wife bled the clutch cylinder but it didn't seem to make any difference. If I hold the clutch just before the distance where it engages it doesn't haul off an grab. It just grabs fast and in the same spot every time. Doesn't make a sound but still feels 'buzzy' but I think that's probably just the way it is designed.

My wife is getting used to it so I probably won't pursue this any more.
Monday, June 29, 2009 4:44 PM
yessir, bowhunting rocks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search