Is is possible to make my cavalier a rwd? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is is possible to make my cavalier a rwd?
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:15 AM
I've been wondering if its possible to convert my front wheel drive cavalier z24 2.4L 5-speed to a rear wheel drive?

If it is possible how difficult is it?

Re: Is is possible to make my cavalier a rwd?
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:22 AM
Can be done

Cost you enough money

Also going to need a motor swap

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:27 AM
check out mantapart.com ... i believe they make a rwd conversion for j's
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:35 AM
^link?

i have never seen any type of kit......

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:28 AM
Nick Tinker wrote:check out mantapart.com ... i believe they make a rwd conversion for j's

i hope this is sarcasm.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:42 AM
It would cost more than the car is worth, by a long shot.

If you have to ask.. you probably don't have the skills necessary to fab up and weld all the custom work that would be required... but the best way to learn that stuff, is to do it!!!

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:47 AM
Matthew Smidowicz wrote:I've been wondering if its possible to convert my front wheel drive cavalier z24 2.4L 5-speed to a rear wheel drive?

If it is possible how difficult is it?

If you have to ask a question like this, you definitely aren't going to be doing it.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:02 PM
Since we are sort of on the subject.........

AWD out of a Montana!

You can probably make it fit. IIRC the 2.2 ohv bellhousing is the same as the GM V6's. I know you don't have a 2.2, but it would be cool to see done.

Look at what people do with the FWD platform, I say it would be even better to run AWD on a J..If you are going through the RWD hassle.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:11 PM
*sigh* its not a comlete "kit" from mantapart.. used the wrong wording..

"2.2 Ecotec Turbo/SC engine- this is a completely built engine-with forged lower compression pistons, billet rods and race quality internals.
Full headwork and HD turbo cams and valve train. HD oil system mods and setup for a turbo drain down incorporated into the block already.
It is ready for your manifolds and turbo or SC- this is a bullet -proof engine!
This is the same engine Gm is making 1000+HP with and is a great engine for a turbo/SC project or a kit car conversion too.
(We can provide a RWD bellhousing for them now too) $3750 + truck frt."

its enough to get a start. from www.mantapart.com
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:20 PM
3750 for a complete built engine capable of 1000hp with the right turbo?

2002 Cavalier "LS Sport"

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:31 PM
Nick Tinker wrote:*sigh* its not a comlete "kit" from mantapart.. used the wrong wording..

"2.2 Ecotec Turbo/SC engine- this is a completely built engine-with forged lower compression pistons, billet rods and race quality internals.
Full headwork and HD turbo cams and valve train. HD oil system mods and setup for a turbo drain down incorporated into the block already.
It is ready for your manifolds and turbo or SC- this is a bullet -proof engine!
This is the same engine Gm is making 1000+HP with and is a great engine for a turbo/SC project or a kit car conversion too.
(We can provide a RWD bellhousing for them now too) $3750 + truck frt."

its enough to get a start. from www.mantapart.com

RWD for the solstice/sky and cars of that platform.

NOT j-body. You could do it tho.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:31 PM
ofmg why cant people use a search engine...and of course there is no kit, if you want rwd in a j. its got to be completely custom enging/tranny mounts, custom rear suspension, custom drive shaft, custom cooling pipes or hoses, exhaust system has to be moved to accomidate for the driveshaft, firewall has to be modified or removed and replaced. thats a few of the mechanical hurdles of the rwd in a j idea, you obviously dont have the skill, knoweledge, or tools to get the job done right.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:09 PM
yeah, if you wand rwd get a camaro or trans am.... corvette.... although the idea of a rwd j body is cool....too much money involved......one of my buddies suggested it to me and I had a good laugh....

-Red-
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:56 PM
alright so that idea is dead. lol.
Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:31 PM
i did it twice. i forgot what trans i used and i got lucky with a driveshaft i found in the backyard. it was way cool and the car was soo @!#$in pimped out, had a set of those sweet chrome altezzas but water got in them and they didnt work any more. anyone have another set for me?

Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:56 PM
If you get the big wing spoilers it will help keep the water out of your taillights.....that's what I got...works pimp! You gotta get the big garage frame wings tho...those pussy wings that barely stick up past the roof don't work very well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:56 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:59 PM
http://www.smithperformance.com/ this should answer every thing although i would say the closest thing to a rwd cavalier would probaly fiero if you needed a home for the Ld9 and 5speed you have there i would think that would be easier. what would help me answer this question would be what is that you want t compete in that you need RWD. The link above would probaly be track only. I would ditch the 2.4 though .A small block Crate motor and th-350 would work. good luck
Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:52 PM
i thought about getting one of those big spoilers, anyone have a link to a good one? i know it will kill 2 birds with one stone creating enough downforce now that i got the rwd goin for me. now im glad ill be able to drive in the rain and have no worries about water gettin in my tails as well i wont slide around with all that downforce.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:56 PM
theres one running around out there. yellow and has a massive supercharged big block chevy stuffed in the engine bay.

it kept the stock subframe. it kept the stock exhaust tunnel and had dual exhaust running through it. it kept the stock steering, and front suspension.

honestly... from looking at how it was done, i dont see it being much of an issue for someone with fabrication skills. but instead of a massive scbbc, hows about something smaller like an l67?

PFFT secret cams?! pm me if you want a real upgrade.
Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:34 PM
^^^^^^ I still drool over the pictures I have of it from ITB a few years back.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:53 PM
I vastly prefer RWD and have always thought this was a valid question. However, the answer is always the same: Basically, to transform any FWD car into a RWD you have to build a completely functional RWD frame/suspension/engine/transmission setup and then plop the Cavalier (or whatever FWD car you're using) on top of it.

That said, modern front drivers like the new Cobalt or Civic are quite stiff and I do think that they could take having a RWD axle and transmission bolted right onto their subframe. The only hurdle being the space for a longitudinal V8 engine. Some may only be able to fit a V6 at best.

The Ford Focus has a kit for it, and from what I hear it's quite good and streetable. The 1980's era/early 90's Chrysler K cars also have a similar kit. Haven't heard if it's good. There is a sort of kit for the J body, but it's a racing setup and like I mentionned above, it's basically a race car frame that you bolt your car on. It's not really made for any sort of daily driving.

In the end, it's just cheaper to buy a rear drive car and hop it up. Even if RWD is dissapearing in modern cars, and you want something different than a Camaro/Mustang/Firebird/GTO/Challenger, there are tons of older vehicles that you can modify cheaply and fairly easily. Everything from a Dodge Mirada to a Jaguar XJS can be had for less money than most Cavaliers can be bought for.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:23 PM
If you buy anything from mantapart, you deserve to have your money stolen.

zyaa, got any links for that rwd cavi?

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:08 AM
it can be done useing a 240sx chasis look into it hmmmmmmm i wounder how many are gonna laugh at me for this one lmao lololololol but no siriously itl work u can find em for 500 bucks get an sr20 for 2 grand and a viscous lsd for 500 bucks look into it all the dimension are within inches of the cavy
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:08 AM
95gtzspec2 wrote:it can be done useing a 240sx chasis look into it hmmmmmmm i wounder how many are gonna laugh at me for this one lmao lololololol but no siriously itl work u can find em for 500 bucks get an sr20 for 2 grand and a viscous lsd for 500 bucks look into it all the dimension are within inches of the cavy

Have you built a RWD Cavalier? No?

Then I seriously doubt if your advice for using a 240SX chassis is valid... since it's the first I've ever heard of it, and I have seen actual RWD Cavaliers (none of which are streetable... but that's besides the point)

...j

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:23 PM
Within inches? You realize even a quarter of an inch is still A LOT when it comes to chassis modifications? Wow...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search