Problem with 4 speed auto!!! Please help me! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Problem with 4 speed auto!!! Please help me!
Monday, October 12, 2009 3:43 PM
Hey guys, I moved the shift stick of my 4 speed auto sunfire while it was on ignition (car was still off) and when I started it it remained in Park and the shifter was moving softly thru all positions without shifting gears as it we're not connected to the transmission!!! and the car remains in Park!! I donīt know what might have happened since the car was workin perfectly before that, can somebody please help me on this?

Re: Problem with 4 speed auto!!! Please help me!
Monday, October 12, 2009 6:20 PM
I know what might have happened:

A. You broke the shift linkages from the shifter to the transmission
B. Worst case, sucks for you...You did internal damaged to the rooster comb
Monday, October 12, 2009 8:10 PM
Joseph R wrote:I know what might have happened:

A. You broke the shift linkages from the shifter to the transmission
B. Worst case, sucks for you...You did internal damaged to the rooster comb

humm I really donīt know what the rooster comb is..
Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:29 AM
I think i know what happened. I had the same thing happen to my 2001 Sunfire. Your shifter cable broke. Sometimes a shop can pull the cable and reattach it,but its better if it's replaced.Mine was reattached and it broke again in about a month. They ended up installing a new one. I think it cost around $80. Sunfires (and probibly Cavilers)were designed with the shifter cable too close to the exhust.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:41 AM
Robert Frankford wrote:I think i know what happened. I had the same thing happen to my 2001 Sunfire. Your shifter cable broke. Sometimes a shop can pull the cable and reattach it,but its better if it's replaced.Mine was reattached and it broke again in about a month. They ended up installing a new one. I think it cost around $80. Sunfires (and probibly Cavilers)were designed with the shifter cable too close to the exhust.

Yes, I think youīre right, Iīve been checking the car this morning and it seems to be a broken cable issue, I really doubt that it could be an internal damage to the transmission since it was working perfectly and I didnīt have any problems with it until this happened.. Also all the internal mechanism of the shifter looks good..
Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:54 PM
Ok, confirmed.. the cable is broken.. Now ítīs just a matter of replacing it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search