first and second gear - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
first and second gear
Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:04 PM
latley i've had more and more trouble getting my car into first and second gear.... i dont know much about standards transmissions but i hear a lot about syncro's and shift forks when people complain about this sort of thing....any idea about what it is and the price to fix it? or should i be looking for a new GETRAG?

Thanks ORg

Re: first and second gear
Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:23 PM
When was the last time you changed the fluid? start there first.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:01 PM
I was plannning on it anyway. Will do.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:24 AM
im rebuilding mine as we speak. i will let you know how much the syncros and shift forks are.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:59 AM
Thanks!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:38 PM
syncros are not much...under 70 bucks.
is it that you cant get it into gear well? like you have to push it all the way to the left...and kinda maneuver it up to get it in first? like it just does not feel like its smooth?

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:59 PM
Exactly. Its spuratic, but yet. I have to really muscle it

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:45 PM
does it grind into gear or is it just really hard. because if it dont grind then its not your syncros. it would grind if it were syncros...

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:28 PM
Waldo is correct...grinding is syncros...but i was actually describing how mine shifts. lol
im also in the process of figuring out what it is because i had my tranny rebuilt less than 7 months ago...and i baby it...

next is checking shift cables...shifting assembly / bushings etc...

im lost

Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:36 AM
Well were in the same boat then. If you make any progress let me know. Im gonna change my tranny fluid and clutch fluid today to start.

Friday, October 16, 2009 8:42 AM
there is a tranny place down in florida that will sell everything individual. instead of selling me a $600 bearing kit when i only need two of the bearing in the whole tranny. they also dont try and sell you the whole rebuild kit. they sell you parts individually. like the 3rd gear blocker ring or the shift fork tabs.etc. i will give you guys the name of the place and number and let you know the estimate of the parts that im buying. so you know the price ranges of things

Friday, October 16, 2009 4:00 PM
Put in B&M Trick Shift yesterday night. Shifter moves somewhat better, but nothing dramatically, obviously.

And thanks waldo. Valuable Info

Sunday, October 18, 2009 7:14 PM
the place is called consolidated transmissions.... i think in florida. their number is 1800-578-8726. they sell all the parts individually so you dont have to buy a whole rebuild kit

Sunday, October 18, 2009 7:19 PM
ok jk my friend told me about this place and well i just looked it up on the internet and everything about this place says rip off or dont buy from. everyone that bought @!#$ from there says they got ripped off. so i dont know if i would trust them.... im going to try since i only need two minor parts. so we will see

Monday, October 19, 2009 10:42 AM
i wouldnt send them your money.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:09 PM
driving....

down shifting...

coming up on a red light with a green right turn arrow...

so im trying to put it in second to turn (from 3rd)...cant get it in gear..so i roll through the turn in Neutral and finally get it in first.
P.O.S

Monday, October 26, 2009 8:27 AM
Waldo wrote:ok jk my friend told me about this place and well i just looked it up on the internet and everything about this place says rip off or dont buy from. everyone that bought @!#$ from there says they got ripped off. so i dont know if i would trust them.... im going to try since i only need two minor parts. so we will see

Just be sure to send them money thru a paypal account and if you don't see it within 2 weeks or so, start a dispute....if they don't respond with a tracking number with 7 days escalate the dispute to a claim and you will then get your money back. Paypal is a great way to send money to questionable dealers as long as the time frame is rather quick.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Monday, October 26, 2009 9:31 AM
Fox-02

Happens to me trying to get into first from a stop atleast once a week.

Monday, October 26, 2009 7:30 PM
it freakin sucks....
ill never buy a Jbody again. nor a GM.
P.O.S

too bad too...cause i really like the look of Cavies and Cobalts...they just are build like poop on a stick.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:03 AM
I wouldnt go THAT far with it.

Some getrags shift great. And every make and model has its quirks. And budgets for that matter.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:09 PM
lol
if cobalts shift well then sure...ive only driven an auto balty but i love the look of them.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:05 PM
Fox i know how you feel cause thats the same way i feel about my car sometimes too lol, my cavy grinds often going from neutral to 1st and going from 1st to second gear, i think i better start saving for a new transaxle. Its sucks a%^.

peformance parts for sale!! Click:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/62265/
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:43 AM
eco...
well no. my tranny doesnt grind at all..AT ALL.
i had my tranny rebuilt less than 6 months ago. lol but it still wont go into gears right...idk if its cables or a clutch thing...but its not cool or fun.

Friday, October 30, 2009 3:30 AM
Have you bleed your clutch? Have you checked your fluid to see if it is dark?

FU Tuning

Friday, October 30, 2009 7:35 AM
Not as of yet. Any how-to's?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search