Popping out of 2nd, shifter moving in 4th - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Popping out of 2nd, shifter moving in 4th
Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:06 PM
Driving my car today I noticed that the shifter would move (pop) forward when I get off the gas and backward when I got on the gas in 4th gear only but it stayed in gear. The getting off of the highway tonight when I put it into 2nd and let off the gas the shifter would pop out of gear. It kept doing this over the next mile going home. I'm not hearing any grinding. Any ideas on if its synchros or cables?

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto, 83 Mazda RX-7

Re: Popping out of 2nd, shifter moving in 4th
Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:21 PM
Cable too tight, trans mounts failing and allowing the trans to rock too far?

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 12:17 PM
my car is doing the same thing except mine is grinding real loud
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:10 AM
trans mounts shot. its making your tranny jump back and forth when you let off the gas, and step on the gas. and that may be the reson its jumping out of gear is because the tranny is rocking back and forth to bad.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:13 PM
mine is doing the same thing as tyler fairs ... mine just started this morning and i have new cables, clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder and i go to put it in second and it grinds real bad and won't go into gear

Turbo lag is a courteous head start
Thursday, November 05, 2009 7:49 PM
Mine was the trans was bad. Replaced it and everything was good till this week. Not the "new" used trans is popping out of 2nd. Trans mount was good when I put this trans in.

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto, 83 Mazda RX-7
Friday, November 06, 2009 1:48 PM
I could be wrong, there could definetly be something in the trans that is causing this...but I seem to lead towards the trans rocking enough to pull the cables, which pulls the shifter. When driving can you put your hand on the shifter and feel any positive feedback like the cables starting to pull on it as you roll onto the throttle?

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:11 AM
When mine was popping out of gear i had to replace the syncro's

If your interested in custom aluminum tilt wheel levers hit me up!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search