Trans 2nd gear problem - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trans 2nd gear problem
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 12:13 PM
So, i have a 01 cavi with a 2.2 and 5 speed. i took off like i should and when i shifted into second it made a real loud grinding noise as if i was grinding gears, and it threw it self out of gear. next time i took off i tired to hold it into gear and the grinding noise just didn't stop until i let it pop out of gear. WHAT THE @#(% is wrong with my car?

Re: Trans 2nd gear problem
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:36 PM
no one have any clue?
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:52 PM
second gear syncro is wasted is my guess.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:57 PM
estimated price to fix?
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 9:09 PM
mitdr774 wrote:second gear syncro is wasted is my guess.

yup. sounds about right.

well here we go...
i had to get my 4th gear syncro changed for the same reason but once opened up it was apparent that they all were not too hot. its recommended that all are changed at least on the same fork. so for me i had them all changed except 2nd i believe.

your looking at anywhere from 850-1250. and with that out there...how is your clutch? now would be as good a time as any since your dropin it out for work... throw that in and your talkin 1600 bucks or so. its rough...

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 8:06 AM
yep. same thing happened to mine. third gear syncro was gone so we went in and looked and i ended up needing new shift forks, shift fork tabs, 3rd to 4th gear slider, 5th and reverse shift rods and sleeves, 3rd gear blocker ring. and im still not finished. luckily i had a brand new clutch in already. im at about 950 for everything.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:12 AM
Syncro issue.

Have it looked at. You gotta know when to draw the line though and just drop in a tranny in better condition. Theyre everywhere.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:44 PM
im having a trans shop look at it tomorrow. they said they will talk to me about replacing that part or just replacing the whole trans. neither one is cheap though. UGH!!!
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:20 PM
where did you get your syncros... did you get them from a website or what

Turbo lag is a courteous head start
Thursday, November 05, 2009 7:46 PM
My trans just started popping out of 2nd again this week. Just put this damn thing in 6 months ago because the last one was popping out of 2nd & 4th. Looks like its time for another one. Last one only cost me $250 so hopefully I can find another one for around the same price.

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto, 83 Mazda RX-7
Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:33 PM
Yeah man, if you got a garage with some tools, find a used tranny for your car... you will save a lot of money, and its pretty simple to do... Good luck man

SuNnY-T kent.jpg

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:00 PM
alright so i was driving my car today, and got the great idea to see what would happen if i down shifted into second. and it kicked out when i gave it gas, so at the next stop sign i just downshifted and gave it no gas and it stayed in gear, but again as soon as i gave it gas it popped out. still sycro or is the whole gear just wasted?
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:33 AM
It is your shift fork. The tips of the shift fork has nylon tips. They wear, more some from abuse. I had this happen. If you keep forcing it into gear it will weat the gear it's selff. I did this.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:17 AM
price to fix the fork?
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:49 PM
tyler fair wrote:price to fix the fork?

It is best to get another tranny for parts.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:54 PM
or just get a new junk yard tranny and swap them out, if you have the know how

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search