upgrading getrag synchros - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
upgrading getrag synchros
Sunday, November 08, 2009 5:26 PM
Is there anyway of upgrading the synchros in my 05 cavalier? It's getting old having to swap tranny's all the time just because they go out all the time. I'm planning on doing a lot to my car and I'm gonna have the money soon so I'm gonna make sure my tranny can hold up. Any ideas?

Re: upgrading getrag synchros
Sunday, November 08, 2009 10:28 PM
A light clutch disk GREATLY reduces wear on them

6 puck = OK
4 puck = better
3 puck = best

Sprung hubs are also alot heavier...

Best case would be a 3 puc - un sprung. very light disk it'll shift ALOT better.

11.92 @ 122.69 MPH Rotrex Blower / Intercooled / Water-Meth / 100% Daily Driver / 381 WHP

Monday, November 09, 2009 5:45 PM
This is just an idea, and it would cost alot. But you could buy all the synchro's from GM seperately, like 50/piece. Then get them cyro treated or something?

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:58 PM
so upgrading to a lot better clutch will help keep the strain off the synchros?
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:34 PM
It is your driving!! people put well over 100k on there tranny's all the time and not have synchros go bad.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:57 PM
i think i got a good 50-60 passes in on my trans and im just now having some issues, not sure if its the syncros, shift fork or shift fork tips yet. im gong to be looking into fixing my problem once i get the trans out and figure out what my problem was.

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:38 AM
John Higgins wrote:It is your driving!! people put well over 100k on there tranny's all the time and not have synchros go bad.

But in the case with my car, I purchased the car with my 3rd gear grinding.

Would it be the shift fork, since it only does it going into 3rd? or would it be the synchro?

Everyone says junkyard tranny's are better to swap in the long run, but I know thats the only thing wrong with my tranny, who knows what could be wrong with a junkyard one.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:46 AM
I bet it is the shift fork tip. Many people have killed the tips, including myself.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:44 AM
IDK if this helps any:
My isuzu trans ( I realize you guys are talking about getrags) was grinding going into 3rd with 176,000 miles on it. i pulled it apart only to find the the blocking ring retaining tabs had actually worn out the shift collar. Whenever I shifted into 3rd, the collar must have slid into gear at an odd angle.
Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:44 AM
IDK if this helps any:
My isuzu trans ( I realize you guys are talking about getrags) was grinding going into 3rd with 176,000 miles on it. i pulled it apart only to find the the blocking ring retaining tabs had actually worn out the shift collar. Whenever I shifted into 3rd, the collar must have slid into gear at an odd angle.
Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:37 PM
I know it's not my driving when it's 5th gear that does it. Like a lot of people have said it's hit and miss on these trannys

Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:38 PM
Zex Cavi wrote:I know it's not my driving when it's 5th gear that does it. Like a lot of people have said it's hit and miss on these trannys

that is what everyones says

FU Tuning

Friday, November 13, 2009 8:14 AM
if its grinding into third then its more than like the syncros (syncros are also known as blocker rings) but it could also be your shift fork tabs are cracked or broke and not putting it into gear right. the only reallly way to diagnose is take it apart. it has happened with three trannys i have had. and two of my friends (they have getrags)

Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:22 AM
Going to agree with John on this one.

Mine lasted 120K, raced and supercharged at 27K. Every weekend for 9 months for 3 years.

The only thing that went on mine was the input finel drive bearing.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:00 PM
all i'm saying is i've had two cavaliers both with the getrag and i've went through three transmissions. I've drove manuals for my whole life, I even work at a body shop dealing with semis so I drive vehicles without synchros so I can drive
Sunday, November 15, 2009 6:44 PM
Zex Cavi wrote:all i'm saying is i've had two cavaliers both with the getrag and i've went through three transmissions. I've drove manuals for my whole life, I even work at a body shop dealing with semis so I drive vehicles without synchros so I can drive

everyone says that.

FU Tuning

Monday, November 16, 2009 12:07 AM
I've had 6 Cavaliers, and never had to replace a transmission because I broke it.

Monday, November 16, 2009 1:23 AM
Lenko does rule

Monday, November 16, 2009 6:42 PM
CLC wrote:Lenko does rule

he does doesn't he

i have had 4 jbodys and my 97 GT 5spd is the only one that would grind in first gear i bought it with high milage so i have no idea how it was treated.

put it this way i'm not very nice to my car right now and i'm not having syncro issues alot of people thing there great at driveing manual but really there not like my sister inlaw shes good at it but she rides her clutch quite a bit and doesn't even notice shes doin it probably cause she was taught wrong by her ex

has to be a reason you have such bad luck when most of use don't and considering that trans is the one that the V6 swap guys are using and the 2.4s 96-99 are switching to, we wouldn't use it if it was junk

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, November 16, 2009 7:09 PM
Zex Cavi wrote:so upgrading to a lot better clutch will help keep the strain off the synchros?

It can help but only if the problem is due to your friction disc being too heavy or a worn input shaft bearing. This is not a common problem in the jbody's. It is more common with high reving or higher mileage transmissions where the disc is still grazing the flywheel and pressure plate even when the pedal is depressed therefor not being fully released. This usually shows up as a "lockout" condition. If you force it into gear while the clutch is still partially engaged this will cause excessive wear to the syncro and possibly damage the shift fork tips.

I would be concentrating on making sure your clutch is fully releasing at high rpms. Simply push the clutch pedal all the way down, rev it up high and see if it starts to budge the car. If it moves, the clutch is your problem. If not then maybe it really is your driving. It is natural to get a little excited and some people unintentionally move the shifter while the clutch is not fully depressed.

The Getrag is not a junk trans. Mine has held up to 80,000 miles of me driving it like I stole it as well as the previous owner before me who really did steal it. (My car was a recovered theft) My trans still shifts perfectly.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:44 PM
i bought my j with oh about 220,000km on it and the third and second gear syncros are fine shifting up but i have to double clutch going down.... but guess what since i got the car and have put 60,000 km on it myself it is no worse than it was when i got it..

on my last car a 93 grand am with an isuzu 5 speed we baught it with a bagged tranny (the idiot changed the oil in the tranny then forgot to put the drain plug in) andyways we replaced the 2 blown syncros with ones out of a getrag on a sunfire and then all the berrings with ones from a parts store since they were cheep enough anyways. and i put 280,000 km on that tranny after putting it back together and never had a bit of trouble with it

so driving does matter... if you know a syncro is not in the best condition dont keep asking it to take up all the difference. however

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search