Clutch question. And timing tensioner question. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch question. And timing tensioner question.
Friday, May 05, 2017 3:44 PM
This may be a stupid question. I have a wrecked 97 cavalier 2.2 sohc with a 5spd tranny. And I have a 06 cobalt 2.2ecotec with a 5spd tranny. I realize the motors and most likely the tranny is completely different. But question is, did the clutch plate itself change? Can I use the cavalier clutch when it comes time to replace mine? And also, I have put 2 new timing chain tensioners in the motor in the last year. Research has shown me there are three styles, most updated being one I cannot find anywhere, which has a small hole in the side for oil pressure to help drive the spring inside. Is this info correct, and if so, why does Autozone and advance auto not carry the newest updated version?

Re: Clutch question. And timing tensioner question.
Friday, June 23, 2017 4:56 AM
I'm fairly certain that the ohv clutch will not work with the ecotec. (Discs maybe interchangeable but the pressure plates are different)

The new revision should have a hump on the head of the hex end like so:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/john2gs/media/cGF0aDovdGVuc2lvbmVyY29tcGFyaXNzb24uanBn/?ref=

New style on right

Friday, June 23, 2017 5:47 AM
strat81 wrote:I'm fairly certain that the ohv clutch will not work with the ecotec. (Discs maybe interchangeable but the pressure plates are different)

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/john2gs/media/cGF0aDovdGVuc2lvbmVyY29tcGFyaXNzb24uanBn/?ref=

New style on right

He's talking about the 2.2 LN2 timing chain I think.

OP, I believe the disc size is actually a little bigger for 2.4 and 2.2 ecotec motors. Pressure plate and flywheels are definitely different, so I'd say you're out of luck. I used an LUK stock replacement for my 2.2 ln2 and beat on it regularly with no slippage. It wasn't horribly expensive from ebay. They DO list it as a 2.2 SOHC but that is in error. The motor is actually OHV as the cam is in the block and it's a pushrod motor.

Tensioner.. They were never great. Find the GM part number for the most up to date model and google it. usually carries the newest stuff.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, June 23, 2017 5:49 AM
Link didn't work..

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, June 23, 2017 7:45 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:
strat81 wrote:I'm fairly certain that the ohv clutch will not work with the ecotec. (Discs maybe interchangeable but the pressure plates are different)

New style on right

He's talking about the 2.2 LN2 timing chain I think.

OP, I believe the disc size is actually a little bigger for 2.4 and 2.2 ecotec motors. Pressure plate and flywheels are definitely different, so I'd say you're out of luck. I used an LUK stock replacement for my 2.2 ln2 and beat on it regularly with no slippage. It wasn't horribly expensive from ebay. They DO list it as a 2.2 SOHC but that is in error. The motor is actually OHV as the cam is in the block and it's a pushrod motor.

Tensioner.. They were never great. Find the GM part number for the most up to date model and google it. usually carries the newest stuff.

His post says the ohv is wrecked

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search