Instrument Panel -Automatic Shifter Position Light - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Instrument Panel -Automatic Shifter Position Light
Monday, March 20, 2006 1:29 PM
Hi all..

'99 Cav Auto 2.2

The Automatic Shifter Position Light (? may have another name ?) at the bottom of my Instrument Panel is no longer showing what gear I'm in - (ie (D)rive, (P)ark, 1, 2, 3 etc)

It shows nothing whether my head lights are on or off..

Is this likly to be a bulb problem or something else?

Is it easy to swap out a bulb in the IP, if that's what it is?

Thanks for any advice!
Steve..

Re: Instrument Panel -Automatic Shifter Position L
Monday, March 20, 2006 7:50 PM
I have a '99 Auto Z24 and my cluster has a seperate orange LED for each position. I guess yours is different because they would never go out all at once and plus leds rarely ever die. The lamps to light up the rest of the cluster are normal wedge 194 bulbs which you can get at walmart so it could be easy. Unless it's the same type of bulb that lights the odometer which is a weird solder-on lamp that would be a pain. Only way to find out is take off the top dash pad, unplug the cluster, pull it out and take off the backing.

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:10 PM
Thanks for the info netdog.. based on them being seperate bulbs, it is likely that it could be a fuse or maybe a loose wire?
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:00 PM
Sorry I missed that you have a 99 also. So that means you should have individual LED's for the gear indicator lights, so I doubt the bulbs are all out. So either the cluster is messed up somehow, or the problem is on the transmission side. There is a sensor that tells the PCM what gear you are in, but I'm not sure if that affects the engine working or not. The connection for that is buried between the transmission and the engine, so you might have to get someone to look at it. I guess there's no easy answer on this one.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:33 AM
Yeah, I agree - Highly unlikely that the whole row of LEDs died at the same time..

I'm thinking a loose wire or something back there.. maybe when I last swapped out the stereo..

Anyway, I'll check it out this weekend..

Thanks for the help!

Steve..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search