most likely a stupid question... - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
most likely a stupid question...
Monday, March 20, 2006 9:17 AM
is there any way to hook up an aftermarket tach in a car that didn't come with one from the factory? i know that accell sells a dis tach adapter, but i didnt want to spend $100 for it if i didnt have to...

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!

Re: most likely a stupid question...
Monday, March 20, 2006 12:29 PM
yes its possible. i have an autometer tach and an autometer adaptor

Monday, March 20, 2006 1:27 PM
You could also hook up to the fuel injectors. As for direct instructions, I have never done it nor know how. I just know for remote starts in cars, if there is no tach wire we hook up to the injector since the readings are accurate compared to a tach. Just a thought.

Sam

Ban low-performance cars, not high-performance ones.
Monday, March 20, 2006 2:16 PM
i think RK SPORT also sells one

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:30 PM
Does anyone have the information on running it through the injectors? Sounds at least like it would work... I forgot to mention it's a 96 2.2 5 speed

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:32 PM
you have a tach wire. y not just use it. its by the battery by the lower radiator hose

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:37 AM
I checked in the fuse box, there is a plot where it says 'tach' but there's no actual terminal in the slot...

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 4:14 AM
STREAKER1369 wrote:i think RK SPORT also sells one

the rksport adaptor is terrible and doesnt work

Wojo wrote:you have a tach wire. y not just use it. its by the battery by the lower radiator hose

not for the 2.2's. he needs an adaptor

if you wanna know how to hook up an adaptor to the coil pack, check my car domain site for pics

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:10 PM
But i'd still like to know if anyone has any info on wiring it through the injector... It seems like it's be easy enough just splice in to any of the injector positives and run the piggyback through the firewall... I'd just like to know someone out tire's done it successfully before i destroy my only means of transportation...

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:36 PM
isnt there a way called "inductive pickup" that allows you to clamp some kind of sensor onto the plug wires off of the distributor or something?

my iEquus tach came with one of these clamps, i did not hook it up yet as i am also not sure if i want to wire it in through the coil or just through the inductive pickup sensor or whatever. looks like an easy way to do it though, maybe someone knows what i'm trying to get at and can elaborate for you?

My "Z-Wannabe"

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/682845/
Re%3A+most+likely+a+stupid+question...
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:59 PM
Inductive+pickups+are+out+there+and+it's+really+the+same+technology+as+a+timing+light,+you+clans+a+magnet+on+the+plug+wire+and+it+senses+a+magnetic+pulse...+Now+that+you+mention+it,+that+might+not+be+ too+easy+to+fab...+You'd+just+need+a+proper+magnet+huh+a+way+to+attach+it+to+one+of+the+wires+along+with+a+leader+that+acts+as+the+tach+sender...+I+may+try+this+today,+but+i+may+just+be+acting+strange +because+of+just+waking+up...

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:01 PM
Wow... Sorry about that last post... I was at a friends house and posted from my cell phone... But anyway yes, like i said it doesnt seem like it'd be difficult, i could try that later today...

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:36 PM
the one i have is on this page http://iequus.com/accessory.asp?cid=101 #9995. i dunno it probably only works for that brand of tach though, i dont know. maybe someone on here might know or maybe you could contact the company if you didnt fab up something yet

like i say im just a newbie myself at this, did not hook mine up yet so i am not sure if that would work with your tach or not.. hope you get it hooked up though!

Kev

My "Z-Wannabe"

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/682845/
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:52 PM
why dont you just buy a stock cluster with a tach? LS/Z24 ect?? much cleaner imo

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:26 AM
I've actually been looking for one, to no avail, all the junk yards have closed down around here... If anyone knows where i could find one please let me know.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search