Rearview Mirror/Map Lights???? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rearview Mirror/Map Lights????
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:59 AM
Anybody know how I can get these out ...I've tried but it's a very tight small space....and than there's that silver housing around the little light bulbs....???I have an 04 cavy...thanks in advance....i want to change the color bulb....

http://members.cardomain.com/bozeybeau

Re: Rearview Mirror/Map Lights????
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:54 PM
I took mine out using a bent paper clip that I hooked around the back of the bulbs. Or if you really have some patience take the whole mirror off the front, but it takes a lot of prying and cursing. I replaced mine with the blue festoon ones from superbrightleds and I had to take the mirror off so I could bend the tabs. For some reason the new ones were a little smaller and wouldn't stay up in there. And the blue leds aren't as bright as the old ones but blue is the dimmest color so what can you do.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:54 AM
hmmm i don't know about a paper clip how that would work.....

http://members.cardomain.com/bozeybeau

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:00 PM
I had the long pill-shaped bulbs on a '99 so if the 00+ cars have round ones I'm not sure. But the mirror should come off either way if you pry it real hard.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:19 PM
I used a small pair of tweezers to get them out. Just get them under the bulged part of the bulb and pry up while wiggle it back and forth.. it'll eventually pop out.

And so you know.. they're 194 bulbs.

My Car Domain Page

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:20 PM
I just replaced mine with red 194's. Pull the fuse, don a pair of safety glasses, grab your needle nose pliers, bust the bulb itself, and pull out the housing with said pliers. Insert new bulbs, replace fuse, and voila! Let me know if you want pics of this mod in red?

Gotta keep on livin', L-I-V-I-N
Thursday, March 23, 2006 6:51 PM
I removed the entire rear view mirror assembly from the windshield. It is held on by one torx screw. Make sure to unplug the wiring harness from the back of the mirror. Then I popped out the plastic covers over the bulbs and removed the bulbs using needle nose pliers. The bulbs ended up breaking, so be really careful. The whole process is much easier with the mirror out of the car though.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:11 PM
Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:20 PM
I just pulled mine out, needle nose pliers, and pull straight out. Didn't even have to wiggle them.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search