I just bought a 2002 Cavalier LS Sedan, but... - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I just bought a 2002 Cavalier LS Sedan, but...
Friday, March 04, 2005 8:42 AM
Hello everyone at j-body.org:

My name is Josh Echt and I just picked up a 2002 Cavalier LS Sedan. We got it for 7350 and the dealer was stickering it originally at 9995. It has 17,300 miles on it and is Mayan Gold. It is fully loaded (automatic, air, traction control, power windows, power remote with functions on it) but it only has a 2.2 liter non-Ecotec I4.

I don't mind that it doesn't cos I couldn't afford an Eco. I owned a 1993 Civic for a few years previous.

The civic is better put together engineering-wise, but the cav seems more "durable," meaning Chev. uses better HVAC controls that actually warm up the car! Chev also seems to use harder plastics, although Honda's plastics are built with better tolerances. There is more low-end torque with the 2.2 liter auto v/ 1.5liter D15B7 Civic engine, although the D15B7 will run to 6800 rpm.

Although I will not mod the car i have a few questions:
1) How many miles on a tank do you all get on average? i've gone 122 miles and have emptied a quarter or a little more from my tank. I know it has a 14.1 gal tank...but do you see anything above 330 miles on a tank? one time my civic went 401 miles on a tank, and it wasn't a hybrid!
2)Top speed is 108. I know that, and I don't plan on disabling the governor. Someone I know died going fast. But what about low-end punch? I saw a motor trend test of a '95 LS with the 2.2 and 0-60 was 10.9 and a quarter mile time was 18.0@77.6. As long as I'm under 11.5 to 60 and 18.5@76 or faster I'm happy. It was an automatic. I just want to know base specs becuase i can't mod it anyway.
3) How reliable are they? My Honda went 181k before the overheating probs. kicked in cos of a bad water pump. The previous owner put 168 on it and I put 13k on it. Is the Cavalier as bad as the media says or is the Civic not as good as the media says? I'm not knocking j-bodies. If I was, i wouldn't have bought one in the first place.
4) What problems should I watch out for? there is 17k on the car and i'm the second owner. Someone here said overheating problems were a concern. When I turn the heater knob (the one with red/blue) it turns to the left with more resistance than the right, and the windshield took a long time to clear up even with defroster on max.
5) is this a better basic car than my old civic? they're about the same size, price, etc. and will my cavy see 200k? I take very good care of my cars and change the oil and tires and tune up when i am supposed to.

Everyone here rips on the 2.2 OHV but I find it an ok engine for basic transportation, which is what I need. It's torquey and smooth, but not powerful. When I am older I will enter the performance car arena.

Thank you for your response.

Josh Echt

Re: I just bought a 2002 Cavalier LS Sedan, but...
Friday, March 04, 2005 1:22 PM
welcome new comer.

i drove to chicago and back on one tank and i live in teh middle of iowa. i have 123000 miles on my 2.2 engine with no problems - knock on wood. as for going faster thats not really my forte. imore into the sound and show portion of jbo. you can do some quick easy mods cat back exhaust, intakes, plugs and wires. there is a world of opportunities for these engines.

Friday, March 04, 2005 2:52 PM
welcome. i have a 99 base coupe with the 2.2l. i average 28 mpg. so with the 14.1gallon takes you say (even though i can put more then that in) that would come out to just shy of 400 miles a tank. as for quarter times, those sound about write for the 2.2l. for the overheating problems. don't get me going. i just got my car back today with $700 less to my name. had to replace the fan relay switch, thermostat, and head gasket. took it out and it runs great now. didn't have a problem before that. alot of people i know have had trouble with the water pumps and hvac motors going out. but yea, usually costs less to fix a domestic then to fix an import. it's a good thing that your not really looking for performance, cuz it would cost alot of $$$ to do that to a 2.2l. i'm happy with what it produces. i wanted a z but my insurance would have went too high for me. the 2.2l still is good for me considering my beater car is a 89 buick century with the 2.5l "iron duke" engine that puts out about 70hp at the wheels. i really like my cavalier and i think you will too.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Friday, March 04, 2005 3:30 PM
don't hate on the duke!!!!!!!!! i just redid a 86 s-10 wiith a duke, took that bad boy .060 over to get the cylinders strait, and it runs like a champ.... but for the life of me, i have no idea what chevy was thinking putting that motor in a 4x4, just stupid!
Friday, March 04, 2005 4:29 PM
i think u got ripped off on the price

-Borsty
Friday, March 04, 2005 7:15 PM
i'm not hatin on the duke! that engine has taken a @!#$ load of beatings from me and still runs great! beside it not having jack for power, that engine is the @!#$!

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Friday, March 04, 2005 11:21 PM
$7350 for a USED 2002 cavi WiTHOUT an ecotec? holy @!#$, last i heard you could get a NEW 2004 for like $8000
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search