turbo an auto? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo an auto?
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:56 PM
Hi, I have an 03 ls sport with the eco in it and an auto trans. I was wondering if there was anyone on here that as turbo'd an auto and how well it works. I am considering this for the future ( after other mods, of course) and I was wondering if the stock trans will hold up to the power.

Thanks

Re: turbo an auto?
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:01 PM
the stock trans will hold up, to a certain point. 8 pounds of boost might a little too much. you can get away with 4 to 5 pounds without major mods to the engine and tranny

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:02 AM
im not so sure about that. I have heard of many autos running more boost than that and I know for a fact that there are plenty of manuels runnin more than that and an auto trans on the eco 03 + as much if not more power than any other Jbo trans . I would figure that the trans would be the least of your worrys. your going to have internal work before any thing with the trans.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:36 PM
^ that's the truth. although, apparnetly GM or someone is making an adapter plate for the ecotec to use the 4T65-E (3.8 trans.) the one they used for the salt flat ion had better input shafts and uses a 1" chain instead of two 1/2" chains. i think this was in sport compact car a while ago, not sure. but anyway, the engine would be the most likely canidate to die first.
Friday, March 11, 2005 9:57 AM
My auto spiked to 18lbs the other day and held up just fine.

I run it at 8 daily, no problems.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Friday, March 11, 2005 9:58 AM
Also, the 4 speed is probably the strongest of the transmissions on a 3rd gen J-body. They're pretty difficult to break.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Friday, March 11, 2005 10:07 AM
^ Actually I would say the 3 speed is the strongest

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, March 11, 2005 10:20 AM
haha, Good point, I forgot about the 3 speed. I have this bad habit of assuming all autos are the 4 speed.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Monday, March 14, 2005 5:22 PM
4 SPEED is very strong and who said 8 pounds would be a little too much.....where do you get this @!#$ from? is there some book that comes from your ass you occassionally pulls made up facts from? I ran 15+ on a stock tranny and 30 on my rebuilt......you wont break that ting if you take care of it....keep the trans cool and the line pressure up

Goodbye Bobby, May God grant you the peace you never found in life.
“Here's my counter-offer to your counter-offer: go f**k yourself.”
—Al Swearengen
Monday, March 14, 2005 5:53 PM
Crash wrote:4 SPEED is very strong and who said 8 pounds would be a little too much.....where do you get this @!#$ from? is there some book that comes from your ass you occassionally pulls made up facts from? I ran 15+ on a stock tranny and 30 on my rebuilt......you wont break that ting if you take care of it....keep the trans cool and the line pressure up

dude, stfu. no need to be an ass

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, March 14, 2005 6:10 PM
yay for 3 speed lol

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

UNLIMITED streaming online movies

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 6:51 AM
I wont be an ass....but dont talk about things you know nothing or very little about....you say something wrong in a forum that is supposed to be for people trying to learn more....and you give them the wrong facts.....if you dont know....dont say anything and you can run a hell of a lot more than 5 or 6 pounds on a stock engine and tranny......trust me I have way more experience in this than you....so just listen...then you will know what you are talking about

Goodbye Bobby, May God grant you the peace you never found in life.
“Here's my counter-offer to your counter-offer: go f**k yourself.”
—Al Swearengen
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search