new to jbody and got problems already - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new to jbody and got problems already
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:48 PM
i just signed up today, although i would browse the site for info about jbodys and its great! but yeah i have a problem with my 92 sunbird le. i just replaced the starter (major PITA!!!) on my bird and im having some driveablity issues. as i accelerate the car jumps forwards and stalls. If i just barely and ever so lightly give it gas it will eventualy get up to speed with out this happening, but the thing is while im going say any speed above 25 and i push the gas more than half way the car will start to accelerate normally but then the the rpms shoot down and the check engine light comes on for a second. if i hold my foot on the gas as its doing this it is like a rythmic cycle or accelerating and bucking down. and the spedo jumps back and forth. I think its got somthing to do with the ECU because the car sat on blocks for like 3 weeks with the battery disconnected. and i saw early in another forum that the ecu "resets" after 30 min of being disconnected. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. i love my jbody and i just want it to be normal again.

Re: new to jbody and got problems already
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 3:51 AM
check the code first. Even if the Ecm is "reset", the setting are still in it. You need to check the code and see what it is.

Really easy, the paperclip trick will work.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 6:57 AM
Well, Welcome to the org. Sorry things are ruff for your car already. But your in the right place to have someone help you. I would but I dont no alot about Sunbirds. Good Luck!

CLICK SIG FOR UPDATED CARDOMAIN
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 8:25 AM
im not to familiar with the paper clip trick...
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 3:55 PM
you have a 12 or 18 holes port under the dash. There's 2 hole that are side by side with a connector inside. You need to take either a piece of wire or a paper clip and bypass those to hole. One is a + and the other a - This will make the CEL flash. First and last code is 12. It will go like a morse coed. flash flash flash It will do it 3 time for each code.

Then you check in a repair manual or ask here about the code.

You can buy a repair manual at Walmart for a few $$. they will tell you all about that.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 4:40 PM
ohhh ok...ill give it a try thanks!!!
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:10 PM
yep reading a code 33 so thats my MAF reading too high of an air flow....and that makes sense if it does what its doing when i give it more than half throttle....it says just to replace it...so ill do that and see what happens
thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search