SERIOUS IDLE RPM PROBLEM!!! HELP - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SERIOUS IDLE RPM PROBLEM!!! HELP
Monday, March 21, 2005 8:53 AM
Hey, I jsut drove all the way to NY city last week, it was a 1400km round trip for me and the entire time I was doing about 130 - 140kmph, (gotta love the I-81 eh?) so I basically drove at around 3000rpm the whole time for about 17hours straight, I never stopped, jsut twice for gas and once in NY, for my new bike, adn I never turned the car off eitehr cuz I jsut loaded it right in my car then took off back for home.. So I went down to NY then came back home the same day. Anyways, ever since then though, my effing car now generally idles somewhere around 1500rpm when cold and 1200 rpm when hot! WTF!!!! Something is screwed seriously, and not only that my idle rpm is NEVER the same, sometimes it decides to idle at 2200rpm when hot and other times it decides to idle at almost a stalling point at around 600rpm, whenever I see it going down like that though I jsut hit the gas a bit in neutral so my engine doesn't stall. I have a 95 cavalier, 2.2L engine, manual tranny, with cold air intake, upper engine mount insert, grounding kit, voltage stabalizer, NGK Iridium plugs and ACCEL 400+ wires. What is wrong with my car, why is it doing this effed up idling? It NEVER did it before I drove to NY, now it does it ALWAYS, sometimes when I pull up at a stop light and my F***in car is idling at 2200rpm people look at me like , I have a straight through muffler so they can hear my engine. Is something serious effed up though? How do I fix this problem?

All mods have been in my car for a while so it isn't because of one of them, cuz the car ran jsut perfect after putting in those mods. It seems the long, high rpm driving or something is the cause, but why? WTF??? Please help!

Re: SERIOUS IDLE RPM PROBLEM!!! HELP
Monday, March 21, 2005 4:42 PM
try disconnecting the battery resetting it for a good 40 minutes or so then reconnect it , fire er' up.... my buddy had that problem and it ran fine after........
Re: SERIOUS IDLE RPM PROBLEM!!! HELP
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:38 AM
Do you know what causes this? And all I have to do is just disconnect the battery for about 40 min then that should solve my problem? How does that reset the computer? Thank you.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search