Whats the difference in brands of mufflers? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Whats the difference in brands of mufflers?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:50 PM
i went to a parts store today and looked at a few exhusts, mostly straight through muffers. Some were cheap and others were way more expensive, but they all look the same to me, Round or oval, straight through design with holes in the pipe and glasspacking in the middle. What makes one exhust different from another? the only difference i've seen is size.

Re: Whats the difference in brands of mufflers?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:16 PM
Want to know thee REAL truth? All your paying for is the name.. Thats it just the name

*95 Z28 M6* *Free mods* *160 t-stat*New LT1 Crate motor 357*Edelbrock Headers*3" Flowmaster cat back* !CAT
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 3:03 PM
It allso depends on polished,stainless,or not.Just depends on how much you want 2 fork out,and if you want dualls twice the price plus new pipes if you get a catback.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 7:12 PM
Dan i disagree, if you are talking about any performance gain (although little if any) are different, sound is different, quality is different, etc if i buy i 50 dollar ebay muffler and then buy and expensive greddy muffler everything about them will be much different. Have you ever seen teh inside of a muffler?
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:56 PM
Oh sorry your basically talking aobut a "can" for the car im sorry I thought you meant like the muffler like a flowmaster etc. Sorry I got confused its been a long day.. But then again I still dunno what im talking about I need sleep

*95 Z28 M6* *Free mods* *160 t-stat*New LT1 Crate motor 357*Edelbrock Headers*3" Flowmaster cat back* !CAT
Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:18 AM
yeah thats exactly what i wanted to know, what make a more expensive muffler sound better than a cheaper one, when they both look similar and same idea.

Since i'm already on this topic, has anyone had any experience with this magnaflow muffler (this exact model) , has anyone had one on a 3rd gen 2.4L

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=762
Friday, April 01, 2005 12:01 PM
Dennis G wrote:yeah thats exactly what i wanted to know, what make a more expensive muffler sound better than a cheaper one, when they both look similar and same idea.

I went through this before. I was hesitating between a APC, a Ractive and a Magnaflow. I ended up with a Magnaflow #14829 I can't wait to hear it. For now I'm thinking how should I set it up...

Pontiac Sunfire 1999.....The POWER of pushrods!!
Saturday, April 02, 2005 3:52 PM
Dennis G wrote:yeah thats exactly what i wanted to know, what make a more expensive muffler sound better than a cheaper one, when they both look similar and same idea.

Just because a muffler cost more doesn't mean its gonna sound better, cause to certain extent Dan is right about paying for the name. However, the thing that that makes a lot of mufflers more expensive is twofold, 1.)More expensive mufflers will use better quality materials. 2.)Also, the more expensive mufflers will be built a little better, and therefore, based on both of those things, the price goes up. Also, what sounds good is always subjective to the istener. For instance, I've noticed on average that most people on this site prefer a deeper more mellow tone out of their muffler. Whereas, I like mine to sound "raw" and harsh, more like an open exhaust, so as far as sound goes don't buy a muffler just because it's more expensive and expect it to sound better.

Tim

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"Hey man is that a Cavalier?" "Yeah." What you got in it?" "It's stock." "Oh."
Dimebag
Darrell
Abbott
R.I.P
8/20/66
12/8/04
Sunday, April 03, 2005 1:11 AM
When I had my 2.5" exhaust with high flow cat and no resinator tube installed on my 2.4 I bought a $60 muffler off of EBAY with a 2.5" inlet pipe and dual 3" tips and ALL of my friends LOVE the sound of my car!!! Yah, it's kinda loud. But, only when I am getting on it. Other then that it has a really good sound. Not too raspy like a pissed off bumble bee and not too deep like I am trying to compete with the V6 Nissans ect.. Now i just have to waite until Tuesday when I get my Paecesetter Header installed to see what the over all sound is going to be like? If it gets TOO loud then I will add a resinator tube behind the cat to try to keep the volume down (just a little)!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search