Can Bearings be changed through oil pan? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can Bearings be changed through oil pan?
Thursday, April 07, 2005 5:34 PM
This has to be a total newb question, but i have a good reason for asking it. My Z24 is in Europe, it has close to 160,000 kms. the engine has never been changed, so if the bearings go on the crank and it starts knocking, which i heard is a common problem on cylinder #3, could the bearing be changed for a quick fix, and maybe last 2-3 months. The reason i ask, is cause i will be spending 3 months in europe, if my motor goes, i'll be stuck without my car and used 2.4 engine are impossible to find there. so could a knocking block be fixed by just changing the bearings. just until i could have a motor shipped there for next year.

Re: Can Bearings be changed through oil pan?
Thursday, April 07, 2005 6:17 PM
Yes you can change just the rod bearings in car but I would also plastic gauge them to make sure the crank isn't hurt if it is knocking. Ive done lots of big block chevys and nmever had a problem. A Z-24 engine shoud be a piece of cake.
Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:05 PM
I wouldn't, but if its only temporary, I guess its ok. A lot of times the crank needs to be machined to provide a flat surface.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:13 PM
Yes it would be temporary, my motor runs great now (Knock on wood) but if someting happens to it, i just want a temporary fix. Whats a "plastic gauge" ?
Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:25 PM
Its not plastic gauge, its plastigauge its a plastic material that comes in different thicknesses that you put between the bearing and the surface to get the tolerances correct. It wears away after you start the vehicle.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search