Hello and help with first mod - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hello and help with first mod
Friday, April 01, 2005 10:42 AM
First, I would like to say hi to all of you. This is my first car but I'm not a stranger to J-bodies: my parents had a 1992 cavy, a 2000 sunfire and now a 2002 (too bad they didn't get the Ecotec engine ).

Right now, my 1999 Sunfire 4 speed auto is mechanically stock. I'll be replacing the OEM exhaust system in the coming days because the hangers , the flex tube and the muffler are rusty. Luckily, I've been saving the $$$ !

I've just bought a Magnaflow #14829 and I was wondering: since it's has the same dimensions as the stock muffler, is it wise to get a resonator (size ?) or connect it directly to the cat ?? (I hope I won't sound like a Civic. I can't stand it)

Thanks!

Pontiac Sunfire 1999.....The POWER of pushrods

Re: Hello and help with first mod
Friday, April 01, 2005 10:49 AM
i have the magnaflow 14829, on a 99 2200, with ceramic pacesetter header, magnaflow cat 2.25" pipe throughout, no res. sounds good, just a faint rasp... i am on the fence as far as weather i wanta hang a 18" res... i'd say just do whatever without the res. then if ya wanta add it... then doso... remember, intake, head work, header, cat, pipe, location of the cat, all play into the sound of the end product, (exhaust sound)

Friday, April 01, 2005 10:52 AM
also, you will notice it hard to find a intake that deletes the "black box" that goes into the throttle body, go to www.rdfabs.com, they are great, and only 90 bucks for the WAI best find for our engines

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:23 AM
Btw, when people say that their exhaust sounds raspy, what does a "raspy sound" sound like ?? A weed-eater gas trimmer or a Civic ?

Pontiac Sunfire 1999.....The POWER of pushrods!!
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:33 AM
depends on the definition of raspy i guess

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, April 08, 2005 4:33 PM
Update #1: I've installed my Magnaflow #14829 and it has a nice rumble at idle (when the engine is warm of course ) Anyway, I've stumble onto a tiny problem: when I'm accelerating between 2300-3400RPM, the rumble is so strong that I can feel inside the cabin. So I THINK I need a resonator . 2 questions : which brand ? (Thrush of Cherry Bomb) and how long should it be (18", 20" or 24")

Friday, April 08, 2005 5:32 PM
the length is as long as will fit after your cat, and before where it goes up and over your rear axel.. so that will require to meassure your specific setup... as for what resonator to get... i'll leave that for others to advise, as i don't have one

Sunday, April 10, 2005 9:38 AM
To SIRK798: That's ok, you helped me as much as you can and I'm grateful !

Oh,I forgot to mention this:
My Magnaflow muffler is only 3 days old. Will the tone and/or the volume changes as time goes by ? And is it better to wait until it had "broken-in" before adding the resonator to my exhaust system?

Monday, April 11, 2005 7:38 AM
most exausts will change pitch and get louder as the get burn in but it takes a little while.... if its 2 loud for you your prolly gonna want a resonator cuz most of them only get louder....the louder the better for me so i would be happy
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search