Opinion - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Opinion
Saturday, April 16, 2005 10:51 AM
I was thinking of picking up an engine out of the junkyard, for my 97 sunfire. My sunfire has the 2.2 right now (non ecotech). I currently go to tech school for automotive and will be going to college afterwards (UTI.) Does the 2.4 motor bolt right in? Because in my spare time i could bore it, stroke it, and maybe turbo it. Buy a complete strong bottom end. I was hoping to push around 200hp all motor without nos or turbo. is this realistic for this motor? I figure ill have a good paying job after college and will be living a home for a while so.. ,ine as well have some fun right? Thanks for your thoughts!

Re: Opinion
Saturday, April 16, 2005 11:00 AM
do it

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Saturday, April 16, 2005 12:46 PM
I dont know if your going to go 200 all motor but you could probabally get pretty close. You are talking a complete rebuild, just search this forum you will see there is a lot of work that can be done to the LD9. If you can do it yourself you are going to save a lot of money.

Sunday, April 17, 2005 12:16 AM
Does it have to be the 2.4? or could you get your hands on the ecotec?
I would go with an Ecotec swap personally and I am not just saying that cuz I have one...LOL if its around the same proce as the 2.4

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Sunday, April 17, 2005 10:35 AM
go with either one.
you can bore the engine out, higher compression, better rods and pistons, P&P, cams, all that good stuff to reach over 200 hp NA

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, April 17, 2005 3:34 PM
but that will cost more than buying a 2.4L wrecked car...

I am waiting for a 2.4L wreck that has a working engine, ecu, transmition, wiring, etc to swap it to my 2.2L.
Sunday, April 17, 2005 3:37 PM
I read in the forum that some guy bought an wrecked ecotec and did the swap to a 96-99 cavalier...

so you can try that tooo...... he bought the car with engine, transmition, everything for $900

and he did the swap himself.... You should check that out.

If you wanna go and modify your 2.2L engine, you need like $3000 to make it run at least 160 hp to the wheels... since yours is only 100hp? to the wheels.
Sunday, April 17, 2005 3:40 PM
At least thats what i am doing (nub here)

a 2.4L swap and turbo it. Hopefully that will put me like at least 190hp at the wheel ( with a good 7psi turbo and fuel set up)
Sunday, April 17, 2005 8:28 PM
Thanks guys, I dont know what my complete direction with it is yet, I just need something to keep me busy exept for my girlfriend.. shopping sucks (inless for car stuff of course).Any one know if the ecotech would bot right in with the same motor mounts? or would i need to do some welding.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search