New to Cavaliers need help. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New to Cavaliers need help.
Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:47 PM
I recently got a good deal on a 1991 Cavalier and am going through some of the issues that it has. Most important, Ive got an electrical problem I really need to fix. For some reason every time I turn on the AC it blows the fuse. I tested to see if it was the blower motor but connecting it to the battery. Motor worked so I went to taking apart the console. So basically I can put the switch on the blower which works, the vent works, and the heat works. But when I turn it to A/C it blows the fuseand when I turn it to defrost it blows the fuse. Anyone have any ideas on where I should go next?

Re: New to Cavaliers need help.
Thursday, April 28, 2005 10:36 PM
not to sound like I'm insulting your intelligence but did you make sure it's the right fuse? Also, is there anything aftermarket hooked up?(cd player, system, lighting) Make sure whoever did it didn't cut into the wrong wire.
Friday, April 29, 2005 6:00 AM
Sound to me like a Short to Ground, if your A/C wires are grounding somewhere before the A/C motor, it will blow the fuse. You should try to get the wire diagram of your car and check that out (I'm sure that if you know someone in a garage he will get you the diagram of your A/C). Sure you'll have to know a little bit of car electrical (Finnaly I can apply the things I learn at school )

Friday, April 29, 2005 8:33 AM
Da Ghost wrote:Sound to me like a Short to Ground, if your A/C wires are grounding somewhere before the A/C motor, it will blow the fuse. You should try to get the wire diagram of your car and check that out (I'm sure that if you know someone in a garage he will get you the diagram of your A/C). Sure you'll have to know a little bit of car electrical (Finnaly I can apply the things I learn at school )

^^^
i would have to go with what he says

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, April 29, 2005 8:43 AM
Got a new printer with a scanner today , so I'll try to put the diagram here if you didn't got it yet!! Don't know when, but probably by the end of the day.

Friday, April 29, 2005 5:38 PM
The fuses are right and there are no aftermarket things. So I think I'll check to see if the AC wires are shorting out. I dont have a diagram so it would be a great help if you could find it and post it here. Thanks a bunch, Matt
Sunday, May 01, 2005 6:31 PM
Being ur car is a second gen cav u should check out the second gen forum.They may give u pointers on future questions and answers to issues with that yr model and specs and such,just a tip to help u ask peps who are more fluent with the second gen stuff.Ok

Sunday, May 01, 2005 6:36 PM

Monday, May 02, 2005 6:37 AM
Hi Matt

find the connector which is mounted on the A/C compressor and disconnect it.

This will disable your A/C clutch.

If, with the fuses replaced, everything works except the A/C you have a bad A/C compressor clutch--disconnecting the clutch operating coil prevents the clutch from engaging and will enable you to drive around if the compressor has seized.

In DEFROST the Air Conditioning is switched ON to dry the air blown on to the screen.

If this does not fix it post back and someone will help

Good Luck

Alont
Monday, May 09, 2005 9:30 PM
I forgot to put the wiring diagram , I'll do tomorrow, don't know when but I will, really sorry for that. I hope that you found the problem, if not hope it will help..

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:46 AM
I finally got the diagram, but the thing is that the pic is 11Mo, how do I post it here, imageshack only accept file under 1024Ko.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search