Intake- custom or mass produced? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intake- custom or mass produced?
Friday, April 29, 2005 6:13 PM
I have 3 questions:

1- Ok, As you might know, I have an 04 ecotec with the sport suspension, and I want more power. People have suggested buying wepen R, AEM and other things, but others suggested making your own. How could I go about doing that and where can I get the cone filter to put on the end?

2- These little engines need backpressure to effectively increce HP, so would a freeflowing exhaust (High flow cat and high flow muffler) Hurt porformance or help it?

3- What type of muffler would you suggest on stock motor? (No ricer "fartcannons", or "Coffecans" with the 6in tip)

Any info appriciated. Thx!

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.

Re: Intake- custom or mass produced?
Friday, April 29, 2005 6:51 PM
Well, If you're budget-minded then I would definitley make your own. You can get the pipes from an exhaust shop for cheap. You can find filters pretty much anywhere. If you can afford it, I would definitley get the high-flow intake from rksport. It's pricey but it dresses up the engine bay nicely. As for exhaust, It all depends on what you want. A good setup will definitley benefit your car. Make sure that you get 2.25 inch pipe and a good muffler like a dynomax turbo with as big a resonator as you can find. That seems to work the best for our cars.

I need a sig
Friday, April 29, 2005 8:22 PM
you can get an intake off of Ebay for $40

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, April 29, 2005 10:11 PM
its a metal pipe theres not a lot of variance

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, April 30, 2005 9:29 AM
Well, i would never spend the kind of money for a tube and filter that some places sell that stuff for, so i would make one myself. But the thing is, if you really have to ask what's involved with making one DIY-style, you probably should just buy one. Like Rodimus said, its pipe, and a filter... not exactly an excercise in quantum physics.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, April 30, 2005 9:38 AM
i bought a cai off ebay that didn't really fit that well. i wanted it right up to the throttle body but it wouldn't fit right. after a month or so of just having it attached to the air box that says 2200 on it i went out and got some rubber piping a couple of 3 in hose clamps and just put it right on the tb. basically all i did was use the pipe i got from ebay, got another straight pipe and put the rubber in the middle of it and clamped it. just extended the ebay one. eventually i want a better looking one. but this one works fine, i even lucked up and didn't have to drill or anything for the ait sensor.
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:56 AM
1 local hw store for parts local auto parts store for filter

2 they would help it

3 depends on the sound you wnat... justmagnaflow.com

"There is no point in looking fast if your not."

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:24 PM
i just replaced the muffler on my 04 cav with a flowmaster 40 series. had to flare out the stock pipe to fit the inlet on the new muffler though.
also tried running a tip but it just made it sound wimpy.
I took a tailpipe cutter and cut off the tip about 1.5" after the muffler. It sounds a lot ballsier and intimidating but looks stock still.
Thursday, May 05, 2005 6:27 AM
2.2L ECOTEC wrote:I have 3 questions:

1- Ok, As you might know, I have an 04 ecotec with the sport suspension, and I want more power. People have suggested buying wepen R, AEM and other things, but others suggested making your own. How could I go about doing that and where can I get the cone filter to put on the end?

2- These little engines need backpressure to effectively increce HP, so would a freeflowing exhaust (High flow cat and high flow muffler) Hurt porformance or help it?

3- What type of muffler would you suggest on stock motor? (No ricer "fartcannons", or "Coffecans" with the 6in tip)

Any info appriciated. Thx!

1. Your local auto parts store will have a k&n cone filter, or you could use a foam filter charger. (go with the k&n)

2. Your engine doesn't need backpressure, it will reduce HP and cause more wear and tear on your motor. And it's a vague statement. When you talk exhaust you need to mention size. 2 1/4 for non boost applications is optimal for your car. It's not the back pressure you need, it's velocity. So if you have a 3 inch exhause you would reduce low-end velocity which would reduce your starting grunt at lower rpms, but you couldn't take advantage of a 3 inch exhuast till you had a big ass turbo, or were doing a 60mph+ rolling start lol.

3. What kind of sounds were you going for low basey sound.... how much are you looking to spend? Those are the kind of things you need to include in your questions.

Me personally i have a 2.5 pacetter since i'm going to be running boost with HO parts on my 2.3. It's raspy at first untill it gets warmed up and doesn't get obnoxious till about 3000 rpms.

I like my engines how i like my women.... rich and a little bit retareded

Nos is like a hot chick with STD's,.... You know you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences.....
Saturday, May 07, 2005 9:01 PM
Ok, stupid questin here...... Would PVC piping work for the intake? It wont burn or melt or anything, will it? And if I spraypaint the intake, is it best to use High temp paint or just reg? I'm just curious and buget minded.

PS- don't want to spend too mutch for a muffler, around 150-250 US dollars.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Saturday, May 07, 2005 9:22 PM
If you're budget minded, one option is always to buy a Thermal R&D one-size-fits-all muffler and have a local muffler shop put together some 2.25 pipe from the cat back. I did that on a car back when I was first getting into cars- the whole setup cost about $150, and it picked up a little punch. Not as effective as a mandrell-bent stainless catback, not as pretty either, but hey- not even in the same ballpark price-wise.

I don't know about the PVC pipe. I don't THINK it would melt, but you're pretty limited in the application, also have to consider all the ridges involved in jointing PVC pipe. Imagine your airflow turbulently puffing across those joints. There are some polymer intakes out there (I'm thinking of Iceman in particular) that claim to keep temps lower than metal piping, but I've never seen dyno numbers comparing the metal vs polymer tubing.

I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but at least I'm a pretty color

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search