Gutting the cat... - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gutting the cat...
Monday, May 02, 2005 4:51 PM
Okay... This is really bothering me now. Here's the deal. My cat is rattling like the body panels of an 87 Civic wagon with no dynamat. Now, if I had the money, I would replace it along with the rest of the exhaust. BUT, since I have zero money, and a rattling cat is gruesomely annoying, is there any way to get that @!#$ rattling around in it out without taking the exhaust off? I know it's probably impossible and defies the laws of physics, but hey. Only reason it needs to be ON the car still is because the factory exhaust on my car is like... welded/studded/unreusably put together. aaaand if i take it apart there's no way it's going back together. Unless there's a secret? help meeeeee you flippin lunatics. Oh, and feel free to laugh at my expense.

Re: Gutting the cat...
Monday, May 02, 2005 7:16 PM
ok well, unless you have done something stupid, your cat bolts to your factory exhaust with three bolts, thus easy to take on and off.

next, have you taken it to a shop to see what the problem is? what makes you think that emptying the cat out will cure the rattle, it could make it louder, after all it will be hollow.
and correct me if i'm wrong, but on our cars the allow for some neccessary back pressure.

anyway, i;d say take it to a shop and let them deal with it, that way if they mess something up, its on them and not you
Monday, May 02, 2005 9:34 PM
you sick freak...stop gutting cats!!!! they say that's the first thing serial killers do.

1996 Mazda MX-6 LS M-Series V6 "The CAVeater"
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 6:46 AM
Nate wrote:ok well, unless you have done something stupid, your cat bolts to your factory exhaust with three bolts, thus easy to take on and off.

next, have you taken it to a shop to see what the problem is? what makes you think that emptying the cat out will cure the rattle, it could make it louder, after all it will be hollow.
and correct me if i'm wrong, but on our cars the allow for some neccessary back pressure.

anyway, i;d say take it to a shop and let them deal with it, that way if they mess something up, its on them and not you

our cars do not want back pressure. it's a car not a 2 stroke. You are talking about velocity.

no back pressure = good
no velocity = bad (atleast for lower rpms until the rpms climb and pick up velocity)

and dude save the 30-60 bucks for a highflow cat, then spend 20-30 dollars to have it put on. but since you plan on taking your cat out by yourself anyway just put the highflow cat on yourself and save some money.

I like my engines how i like my women.... rich and a little bit retareded
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 3:22 PM
Nate wrote:ok well, unless you have done something stupid, your cat bolts to your factory exhaust with three bolts, thus easy to take on and off.

1. No, I haven't taken it to a shop, and I don't plan on it, since well, my dad knows just as much or more than most shops in my area. I wouldn't be surprised if I did as well.

2. I know it's the cat. You can even rap on it with your hand and hear all the @!#$ inside of it shaking around.

3. This is what I mean by how the flanges are. There's nothing on one side, and weird shaped things on the other. They could be nuts, but from experience changing my friends exhaust on her 93 4 door, they aren't going back together once you take them off.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 5:20 PM
use a torch to remove the 3 bolts. Run to autozone and get new gaskets and harware store for some new bolts.

Jeremy

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 5:44 PM
I'll try to get my hand on a torch... My dad can get the gaskets and bolts at his work... PB Blaster wouldn't work you don't think, eh?

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:47 AM
lol no thats not a styrofoam cup its petrafied-rust-bolts lol get a torch or a BAH

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/523131

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:45 PM
get a piece of 2 inch exhaust tuping and some exhaust clamps and cut off your old cat trhen put that in its place and clamp it in nice and tight till u can get a high flow cat or a replacement
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:53 PM
Not a bad idea... Wouldn't I need bigger than 2 inch since it would have to fit over the existing pipe?

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 5:23 PM
ok nevermind that last comment i'm retarded. I'm just gonna save for a high flow cat I guess.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 5:31 PM
well no plus u would need 2 couplers for the 2 inch pipe but yes your best bet would be to save for a high flow cat
Thursday, May 05, 2005 8:43 AM
Quote:

my dad knows just as much or more than most shops in my area. I wouldn't be surprised if I did as well.

Then your dad should let you know how bad hollowing out your cat is. I,m looking at this from 3 aspects.

1. The reason regarding back pressure and all that. You will lose so much low end torque its not even funny. I managed to save up for a maganaflow cat (there are cheaper ones). Its a 2.25 cat that matches up to my cat-back and it helps things flow better but doesn't scarafice power gains.

2. Do you have any idea how much @!#$ that exhaust puts out with no cat on (hallowed out). The black stuff thats stains bumpers is usually that of a poor working cat. Now i,m not trying to be mother earth or anything. But i don't really want to breath in all your @!#$. What happenes if everyone hallows out their cat?

3. There is a huge fine if you get caught with a hallowed cat. Try like $10,000 fine in California i believe. In my area i think its a $5,000 fine. And believe me if you get a cop that wants to be an ass. They WILL check...i,ve been checked once
Thursday, May 05, 2005 11:22 PM
if you have access to an air hammer, and a way to get your muffler off, just buzz the cat with the air hammer and rev it up, and you should blow the rest of your converter out.
Friday, May 06, 2005 7:53 AM
i understand you have zero money but get a few dollars together and go to the junk yard and get an entire exhaust system it would be the easyyiest seeing that you most likly doin't hgave access to a torch.

just take the whole thing apart from the block and all the mounts and put the "new to you" exhaust in......

2000 Dark metallica green cavalier. (2.2 2200) pace setter 4-1 header, magna flow cat, dual quad tip dtm muffler, 1800 watt stereo with satalite radio, momo 16in rims, rk sport strut bar, rear vibrant strut bar, indeglow gauge cluster along with matching hvac panel, clear corner lenses, altezz tails, Crossdilled slotted roters with ceramic brake pads, carbon fiber oem style hood, rsm lightened crank pulley, MSD Ignition coil packs, RSM Vortech Supercharger 8psi, 300cc venom injectors....

"Disarters are just another star falling in my yard."
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search