Engine swap questions - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine swap questions
Sunday, May 01, 2005 10:37 PM
I figured this was a serious newbie question, but if it would be better in another forum please let me know so I can post there.

I am currently running a 2002 sunfire with the 2.2OHV motor. I am not well pleased with the limitations of this motor, so I want a new one. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight to.

1. Which engine should i go with- I've heard great things about the 2.2 ECOTEC, but since I'm buying the whole engine, and the prices are actually pretty close, would it be better to go with the 2.4?

2. What accesories from my motor will transfer, and what am I going to need in addition to the motor itself. For instance, I know I'll need a new wiring harness, a new ECU, motor mounts, but what else will I need?

3. I want to turbo-charge it eventually (on the long-range planning board) so I will be replacing the entire fuel system then, but would engine-swap day be the time to do that too?

Hope you guys can help me out, thanks.

Re: Engine swap questions
Monday, May 02, 2005 6:36 AM
go with the 2.2 Eco. everybody is making parts for that engine. the 2.4 is not being put into cars anymore

you will need motor of course, wiring harness, ECU, motor mounts, transmission, and tranny mounts. maybe a few other things too

and upgrading a stock system on a stock engine wont help you. do it when you go turbo

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, May 02, 2005 7:39 AM
Go with a 5.7L V8
Trust me on this... The god of all motor swaps
Monday, May 02, 2005 4:13 PM
Joe Dunn wrote:Go with a 5.7L V8
Trust me on this... The god of all motor swaps

LOL. Yeah, I bet that would kick ass.

You say I'll have to replace the tranny too? I didn't realize the ECOTEC engine mounted to a different tranny. I've got the GETRAG 5 speed already. Hmmm....Engine swap I can do, engine AND tranny swap I'm not so sure about. Thanks for the input, man.
Monday, May 02, 2005 4:25 PM
Yeah, the Eco still uses the Getrag, but the bellhousings are completely different, so you'll need to swap trannies. Should bolt up to the existing mounts though, and I'm sure you can find one on ebay for cheap.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, May 02, 2005 5:57 PM
I was talking to a friend today that asked if I I could just swap the bell housing without replacing the whole transmission. Has anyone ever tried that?

On the other hand, since I've been here I've found a site (from somebody's sig, sorry can't remember who right off) that actually makes parts for the 2200 (which also from reading here is the engine I believe I currently have). I appreciate the input guys. This site rocks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search