tachometre - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tachometre
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 7:56 PM
i was wondering how to install a tach by my slef...how hard it would be and how long it might take. i dont want to spend 60$ to get it instald wen i didnt pay anything for it...just woundering..so if u have the answers plz just post somthing

Re: tachometre
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 7:58 PM
Some information about your car would be nice, and the tachometer that you have as well.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:02 PM
oh i have a 99 z24, manual, the tach is just a smalll 2inch that i want to put on a cluster on the A piller..like were a boost and air fuel ratio gauge weould go..
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:19 PM
Go look at the fusebox under your hood (the one by the battery) and see if you have a fuse labeled "Tach".

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:28 PM
and so what if i do? could i wir it to that??
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 9:59 PM
Yes

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:22 PM
i looked under the hood and this is what i found...IGN, BATT 1, BATT 2, ABS, COOLING FAN, BLO, PCM, A/C, ABS/EVO..what about wireing it to the cluster fuse in the fuse panel inside the car??
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:37 PM
Thats a 12v power supply, wire to that and watch your fuse blow out at the least, tach will probably die though.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 9:03 AM
i thought all z24s came w/ tachs on the cluster?

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 9:37 AM
yes they do come with one on the cluster but more is better...and as well, i would just like to find out how to do it..no one seems to want to help. plzz some one out thee just tell me how i can wire it in so it works.
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 9:46 AM
on the 2.2 the tach will read exactly half because the car makes 1 signal per revolution. most aftermarket if not all are set up for two signals

i am pretty sure the coil packs are the same on 2.4... if so it's the orange wire... rk sports makes a kit that will correct the signal so that your tach will read the correct rpms instead of half

2000 Dark metallica green cavalier. (2.2 2200) pace setter 4-1 header, magna flow cat, dual quad tip dtm muffler, 1800 watt stereo with satalite radio, momo 16in rims, from rk sport strut bar, rear vibrant strut bar, indeglow gauge cluster along with matching hvac panel, clear corner lenses, altezz tails, vibrant wai, carbon fiber oem style hood, rsm lightened crank pulley, MSD Ignition coil packs, RSM Vortech Supercharger 8psi

"Disarters are just another star falling in my yard."

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:05 AM
ok thats great. i thank you very much..but one more thing were is this "orange wire" u talk about...?
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:44 AM
no the 2.4 you dont need a tach adaptor. the reason you need it for the 2.2 is because of the half signal. just curious, if your car has one, why put another one in. just curious

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:02 PM
the more the maryer. so were do i wire it to exsactly? like is it in the dash, under the hood?...were is it exsactly?
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:15 PM
i always thought for the 2.4s there was a tach fuse since they came w/ tachs. i have a 2.2 and i had to wire mine into the coilpack

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:17 PM
i guess ill have to try and do it in to that. the coil packn that is
Wednesday, May 04, 2005 3:01 PM
BaggedCav98 wrote:i always thought for the 2.4s there was a tach fuse since they came w/ tachs. i have a 2.2 and i had to wire mine into the coilpack

99+ 2.4L's don't have a tach fuse, or a tach output on the PCM. They also need the tach adapter since both the 2.2 and 2.4 use a wasted spark ignition system (fires two cylinders at the same time).

Don't know why you are doing that man, you have a tach, you have no idea how many people (including myself) laugh thier asses off at guys who have two tachs, one huge 5" one and a factory one... really don't need more than one, and its not "the more the merrier" since you obviously don't know how tachs work, or how to wire things up, you could end up doing some serious damage to your engine's electrical system.

Just pay to get it installed, either that or you'll probably end up paying to get the electrical system diagnosed later.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 3:05 PM
i second the thought of" 2 tachs is RE-GODAMN-DICULUS... Use the extra pod for something productive!

Thursday, May 05, 2005 4:57 AM
Shifted wrote:
BaggedCav98 wrote:i always thought for the 2.4s there was a tach fuse since they came w/ tachs. i have a 2.2 and i had to wire mine into the coilpack

99+ 2.4L's don't have a tach fuse, or a tach output on the PCM. They also need the tach adapter since both the 2.2 and 2.4 use a wasted spark ignition system (fires two cylinders at the same time).

i didnt know that. i guess thats what i get for assuming.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search