Break in period for 05 sunfire - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Break in period for 05 sunfire
Monday, May 02, 2005 1:40 PM
OK, i'm not a newb, but this is a newb-like question. I've never had a new car and I'm about to get my 05 sunfire 5 speed. what exactly do I do in the break in period, and how long is it? Thanks

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.

Re: Break in period for 05 sunfire
Monday, May 02, 2005 1:44 PM
get in the car, floor it, and drop the clutch. you dont need to break in cars anymore, as far as i know. they do it all at the factory.

Monday, May 02, 2005 2:36 PM
are you on crack? every engine should be broken in.

take it easy the first few months, get the oil changed every 1500 miles for the first (i think) 4500 miles or more. and whatever you do, don't listen to Robert.

Monday, May 02, 2005 3:12 PM
I have always been told to take it easy for th first 1000KM(not sure how many miles that is) if not more. and its not just for the engine but for breaks ect.

and changing the oil sooner just cuz its new is not needed, just change it the recomended miles.....which should be 5000km (once again not sure how many miles that is)

I have one true love in my life...And my girlfriend sits next to me in it
Monday, May 02, 2005 3:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Is there any top speeds I shouldn't hit, or is that irrelevant? I figured I'll drive around til I get tired putting miles on early on anyways, so I should break it in very quickly.

-----------
Monday, May 02, 2005 3:21 PM
changing the oil sooner is recommended because if there are any metal shavings in the engine from it being made, they will be flushed out sooner than if you wait until a normal oil change. it's just one of those preventative measures.

Monday, May 02, 2005 9:10 PM
Quote:

don't listen to Robert.

dido

change oil early. with good oil and filter. id say the break in mileage is 10,000 miles

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 9:55 AM
Ok I'll definitely do the oil changes early and take it easy, but I dont know how long I'll be able to last before I want to let it loose

-----------
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:20 AM
when i got my 04-fire the dealer told me to not keep it on a set speed (like cruise control) for the first 1000 miles, like if your on the highway dont stay at 75, go from 60 for a mile, to 70, 75, 80, back to 70, etc change it up
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:54 AM
99redz24 wrote:dido

I want to thank you, for giving me the best day of my life

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:58 AM
FuSiOn 04 wrote:when i got my 04-fire the dealer told me to not keep it on a set speed (like cruise control) for the first 1000 miles, like if your on the highway dont stay at 75, go from 60 for a mile, to 70, 75, 80, back to 70, etc change it up

the dealer told you to speed?? lol

"There is no point in looking fast if your not."

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 12:29 PM
The rings seat pretty quick. After the engine has ran maybe 15 mins or so. But I personally don't think babying the car is the best. Take it out and be sure to rev it up good and let the car engine brake. So the car can have the piston rings set really good. This doesn't mean hammering the crap out of the car I just mean to be sure to rev it up semi close to redline and also leave it gear and engine break.

Read here.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 2:47 PM
sorry for the misinfo guys... got ahead of myself there. driving wise, i dont believe theres anything really important... but i agree with you guys: definitely change the oil after 3000 miles or so. the manual states that with the car new, you should change the oil AND the filter after 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 3:50 PM
I was also told to not stay at the same speed for extended periods, avoid long highway trips, etc. Get the oil changed early. Put her to bed early, change the diaper regularly. Take lots of pictures. Thats about it.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 5:55 PM
i had a buddy that got a a brand new z28 for his birthday (yea must be nice) anyway he said that he wasnt allowed to go over 75 mph for the first 1000 miles

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:39 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I can't wait to hear what the dealer has to say.

-----------
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 9:07 PM
Brown eye wrote:
99redz24 wrote:dido

I want to thank you, for giving me the best day of my life

that supposed to mean something?

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 9:35 PM
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 9:46 PM
oh. lol

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 6:17 AM
no hard braking. try not to go over 65-70mph. change oil roughly 1.5k

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 6:22 AM
Take it easy on the brakes for about 100 miles or so.

When you pick the car up, drive it around until the engine get's hot. The stomp on it in every gear to help seat the rings. After that, just take it kinda easy on it, but no reason to baby it. Don't do any hard launches or downshift to any high rpms. If your on the highway, vary your speed by about 5 mph once in a while.

Change the oil at 500, again at 1500 and again at 3000. The do it every 3k after that. I switched to mobil 1 at 500.

I did this on my 2.4L and it runs great, burns little to any oil and the only problem it's had is what I think is a slight lifter knock when it's cold.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search