Alot of questions bout engines and superchargers - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Alot of questions bout engines and superchargers
Friday, May 13, 2005 1:53 PM
I am highly considering doing an engine swap to my car, or a supercharger, as I am very power hungry now, so this is basically two questions in one. First if I do an engine swap, which engine is better? I believe they put like 3 engines in the cav or sumthing?...I have the SOHC 2.2, They put the 2.4 in like the 95-99 or sumthing like that, then they have the 2.2 ecotec...between the eco and the 2.4 which is better? also, would I just be better off buying a supercharger and putting it on the 2.2 SOHC that i have in it now? how much does that cost and will I need bigger injectors and all that crap? thanks for any help that u can hook me up with

Re: Alot of questions bout engines and superchargers
Friday, May 13, 2005 2:06 PM
You have the 2200 OHV engine, the SOHC wasn't the same.

Here are the engines they put in the J's throughout the years:

2.8L V6 Up to 94
2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder Not sure which years, but I believe it was only in the Sunbirds
3.1L V6 Up to 94
2.2L LN2 Up to 97
2.2L LN2 2200 98 to 2002
2.3L LD2 (I think) in 95
2.4L LD9 96-99
2.4L LD9 2000-2002
2.2L L61 Ecotec 2002-2005

Supercharger kits for the 2200 are around $4000. You could swap in a 2000+ LD9 and use the 2.4L Supercharger kit with the reflash, which comes with all the upgrades you'll need. Just keep in mind though that an engine swap isn't as easy as replacing the engine, the transmissions are also different, and no, they won't bolt up. Anytime you add power to the engine, in significant amounts that an S/C or Turbo would, you would need to upgrade the injectors, and sometimes the ignition system.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, May 13, 2005 3:46 PM
^^^ Good stuff. Another thing to keep in mind when you boost is that you'll have to change more than just the injectors. High flow injectors won't do you much good unless you also have a fuel pump capable of putting the gas into em. I'm saving up right now to put in the 2.4L LD9. I picked that one over the ecotec simply based on the old addage- "There is no replacement for displacement." Having looked at both I've found that anything you can do to the ECOTEC you can do to the 2.4, and the extra displacement with the same modifications will give you a hair more power. Granted, .2 displacement isn't a huge difference, but the engines cost about the same amount (maybe $100 or so difference if you shop around), so it's worth it to me.

I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but at least I'm a pretty color
Friday, May 13, 2005 5:10 PM
$4000 for a supercharger!, holy crap, thats alot, i was hoping for around $2000, i guess i really dk what to do then, but my engine needs sumthing, the 2.2 ohv is tooooo slow.o yea, my car is a automatic too....so i would definately need to put a 5 speed in it, and that would cost even more:|...is there any cheaper superchargers or kits? anything else that would make a big difference in performance?.......besides nitrous of course
Friday, May 13, 2005 6:02 PM
think about what your saying,,, you want to put that much money into a motor/tranny swap? go get a z24 5 speed, or echo 5 speed.... and go from there... makes no sense to spend all that (wich is allot more than you can get a previously mentioned car) and no doubt have more left over.... doing an auto to a 5 speed swap just isn't worth it... youll waste so much money.... spend the money to boost a z, or ls sport.... cavis resale values suck, you can pick up an 03 now for about what all the motor/tranny, and fab work will cost give or take a little... that, or stay with the 2.2 ohv, and 3 speed.. and pull the motor, build it, and boost it... theres pleanty of ways to get some respectable power out of it,,, after all, your talking about a street car, not a pure track car..... but that is all my 2 cents.... take it as you will.... i will get off the soap box now....

Friday, May 13, 2005 6:10 PM
yea i no wut u mean sirk, u can pick up a cavy super cheap now adays, which is why i bought mine, but i just recently put a urethane kit on and shaved emblems, whole bunch of other crap and i really dont want to get rid of it, cuz wen i first bought it i wasnt interested in performance so it didnt make a difference to me, i was all show...but I think I will just get a better intake, mine is a pos, ill get a aem one next time and a dc ceramic coated header, just basically give up on the performance, just do show, my next cavy though i am for sure getting a 5 speed and eco or z24
Friday, May 13, 2005 9:36 PM
yup, thats why everyone says, plan plan plan..... so you don't waste...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search