check gauges - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
check gauges
Friday, May 20, 2005 4:04 AM
when i have been driving for over like say, 15 mins or so, if i am stopped, maybe at a red light, my oil pressure gauge drops all the way down and the check gauges light comes on , but as soon as i hit the gas, the light turns off and the gauge goes back to where it was, usually right around half way

any idea what causes this??

Re: check gauges
Friday, May 20, 2005 1:18 PM
If you haven't already I'd suggested the following. First, check the oil level and make sure that is good. Second, how far out are you from an oil change? If it's over-due I'd get that done. Third, Potentially change the PCV Valve and Air Filter in the car. My dad's 91 Cavalier normally did this same exact thing when it's time for an oil change.

Friday, May 20, 2005 10:24 PM
oh ok sounds good i have a 91 too lol

thanks

Friday, May 20, 2005 10:32 PM
i think ill get an oil change next week

Friday, May 20, 2005 11:57 PM
Try that but I'd also pull the air filter to make sure it's not taking in oil. If it is that is a sure sign of a bad PCV Valve. My Dad's 91 didn't display the check engine light but coming to an idle the pressure gauge would drop. I seriously think if you change PCV Valve/Air Filter and also get an oil change done all at about the same it should clear itself up I hope if the car seems to be running fine otherwise.

Since the Valve/Filter won't run over $10 for stock parts they are worth doing. I don't know if you have a modified air filter or not so can't help you much there.

Saturday, May 21, 2005 7:30 AM
i have a stock air filter but i got a new lid for it , im gonna swing by autozone and grab one though

Saturday, May 21, 2005 9:39 PM
i got an oil change, went to get a air filter. open the lid to where it goes and WHAM no air filter WTF i didnt even have one, so i put the new one in and after the oil set in i have no more check engine or stalling at red lights

thanks man

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search