I have no down shift pressure, when down shifting? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I have no down shift pressure, when down shifting?
Saturday, May 21, 2005 3:05 AM
I have a 1988 Pontiac Sunbird 2 dr coupe Le 5 speed, I had this car for a year it is in fairly decent shape to be 17 years old. After I bought this car I notice it shake and shutter and buck when coming out of 1st to fast, which was kind of odd being I've been driving 5 speeds for 10 years. I thought it may had something to do with the pressure plate, it also doesn't have any down shift pressure when down shifting and it also jumps out of 2nd gear when driving. I told my mechanic to change the clutch out which he did not do, he told me that I just needed a clutch cylinder, I'm still not having any down shift pressure to slow the car down, and I'm having to been my knee releasing the clutch in order to engage the clutch. To sum it all up I think this mechanic has @!#$ted me out my money!, what do you guys think whats causing this problem with my transmission?

Re: I have no down shift pressure, when down shifting?
Saturday, May 21, 2005 4:28 PM
if you let off the clutch and the engine doesnt slow the vehicle, your clutch is slipping. It will have nothing to do with the slave cylinder, as that is only used to disengage the clutch. Either worn/damaged pressure plate springs, or the clutch is worn... Either way, replace the whole clutch assembly.

---
Locke
'99 Eclipse
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:18 AM
i'll have to ask my buddy. he has a crx and his car use to do that. if he let off the gas when driving, the car popped back into neutral. i wanna say he said it was the syncros but im not sure

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 11:56 AM
My old honda did the same thing. I had to get a whole new clutch. It was because the pressure plate had to me changed maually. it did not have a hydrolic clutch in it. That might also be why it is slipping.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search