Nitrous Kills? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Nitrous Kills?
Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:27 PM
Can someone tell me if nitrous is as deadly to your motor as the movies make it seem? Because if not i've been thinking about getting my car hooked-up. I just don't wanna blow up my motor or anything like that. Everytime i hear someone say something good about nitrous i hear some else say something bad about it. But i know i can trust you guys to set me straight on this subject. Please help me!

((I don't have a lead-foot, But i wear steel-toes.))

Re: Nitrous Kills?
Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:40 PM
If you buy any nitrous kit not knowing what you're doing and try and go out there and spray 75-150+ then yes you will blow your motor! If you plan out your install thoroughly and install everything correctly there's a slimmer chance of anythign happening. Also if you take neccesary procautions such as colder plugs, plug wires, retarding your timing, and have proper switches (window switch, WOT switch, fuel pressure safety switch) there would be an even lesser chance of anything ever happening. There is always some chance of something bad happening but doing everything right the first time will ensure great results in the end.

Steps I took:

1. Studied the nitrous forum as thoroughly as possible which included sticky's and reading through previous posts (biggest helper)

2. Bought my nitrous system complete from a reputable guy

3. Installed NGK Tr6 plugs and plug wires

4. Got a few hands to help out with the install and didn't rush anything

5. Posted a few problems in the nitrous forum and got them handled by our fellow JBO'ers

6. Now I'm happily spraying away (50shot) later going to 75 once I get the MSD DIS-2 to retard my timing!

Hey I applaud the fact you used nitrous instead of "NOS"... Good luck on your excursion and don't worry about anything if you do everything correctly and make wise decisions!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:42 PM
O and since we have the same motor you can ask me any questions you have towards the install or anything else you might want to know! I have a good deal of pics if, and im sure they will be, needed. L8r

Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:59 PM
Thanks for the info! Guess i've got some research to do. Oh, do you know or have a rough estimate on how many extra horses your setup gave you, and this is prob. a stupid question but does it effect your gas mileage?

((I don't have a lead-foot, But i wear steel-toes.))
Saturday, May 21, 2005 11:42 PM
Quote:

but does it effect your gas mileage?

no. not that i noticed anyway

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, May 22, 2005 1:26 AM
Well if I have my jettings set for a 50shot or a 75shot it will give me that exact # to the wheels at that point when it sprays into the engine! SO a 50 shot would equal 50whp and same for a 75shot and so on!

In a sense it uses more gas but not enough for you to gripe about it and start to worry about economy and all that jazz! It's nothing noticeable at all! I barely use my nitrous on the street with my 87octane gas (reg unleaded) and usually save it for the track when I have 1/2 tank of 92+ octane to help prevent detonation and etc! So I wouldn't be the 100% person to talk to since I dont use it on a day to day basis!

Monday, May 23, 2005 9:47 AM
i dont have nitrous on my car but if you do a reasonable shot you'll be fine. you have a 2.2, i heard a good shot to run on a stock 2.2 is a 50 shot. i could be wrong but thats what i remember reading.

Monday, May 23, 2005 9:58 AM
the golden rule of nitrous is you can safely (with the proper precautions) run a shot thats half of your stock horsepower
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 7:00 PM
With a safe proper set up the 2.2 can take a 50 shot all day long.

1997 pontiac sunfire
2.2 OHV 2.4l coming soon
2.25 inch custom exhaust
WAI
RK Underdrive pulley
50 shot of NX
pacesetter header
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search