97 Sunfire 2.4L questions - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Sunfire 2.4L questions
Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:33 PM
Hey guys, first of all, great site, very informative. I know I can find the answers to my questions somewhere in this forum, but I have spent days looking through them, and I really just need some specifics covered. I just got back from a trip to L.A., (I live in Phoenix, AZ) and I made a side trip up to Sacremento, CA, to pick up an engine/tranny combo. I really am tired and just want the info that I need so I can get this project finished. I am working on my niece's car, it is a '97 Pontiac Sunfire, 2.4L, auto, 96k miles. It is knocking like a SOAB, originally, I thought she had floated some valves, and once I got into the engine, and found out that lifters were going to cost me over $65 a piece, I decided to find an entire engine replacement. What I found was a 2.4L/5 spd manual, COMPLETE with everything needed to convert over, including all wiring, computer, clutch assembly, shifter, cables, dash, you name it, its here. My niece is being a punk ass, and is refusing to learn how to drive a stick <i know, i know, ive tried to change her mind>. My confusion is, what is compatible with the car? Are the electroncis different between these two years? Can I use the old computer with the new engine? <the new engine is not an ecotec, btw> Basically, I need to know if i can throw the new engine in, use the exhisting transmission, wiring harness, and computer, and not have any problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am going to have quite a few extra parts when I am finished, so, let me know if anyone is interested, I will compile a list of what I will have when I am finished. Thanks in advance. ~John

Re: 97 Sunfire 2.4L questions
Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:36 PM
I suck, I fogot to mention, the new engine/tranny combo I am planning to use is from a 2000 Cavalier.
Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:48 PM
ok hold up... so are you using the manual tranny or the auto tranny ..either way theres no problem with which ever transmission you use as far as bolting it up to the motor. Although there are some differences with the '97 2.4L and the '00 2.4L.. the 2000 motor will work but you will have to swap over some stuff..like for example the '00 doesn't have an EGR and the '97 does..i think theres a difference with knock sensors too, but don't quote me on that..i know this was already a topic at one point..if i have a chance i'll try and find it
Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:32 PM
I am planning on using the exhisting auto trans with the new engine. The new engine is absolutely complete, all wiring and everything still attached. The BCU, engine fuse block, everything up to the firewall plug into the fuse block. I would like to use as much of the new wiring harness as possible as well, since the previous owner hacked the engine harness up quite a bit. Ive looked and looked through the past posts, and there is just so much, I may have overlooked it, but I couldnt really find any info on my particular situation. I am not new to engines/mechanics, but my main interest has been early chevrolet, I own a 67 RS/SS Camaro which I have fully restored, and my daily driver is an 02 Stratus RT, which I have done work on. I know these swaps can be tricky with all of the sensors and all, which is why I have no problem asking for help before I totally screw anything up, lol. Thanks for your continued help Edge, I really appreciate it.
Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:48 PM
no prob man..alright so the auto trans on the new motor..well see the thing is the ecu's are diff so your gonna have to change them..same with the intrument cluster..the '00 is digiatl and the '97 isn't..i think the dash it's self it slightly shaped differrent too to fit the '00 cluster. if i was you i'd just swap the motor, fix the harness correctly. Use the old intake and exhaust manifolds along with the EGR, the '00 o2 sensor is a 2 wire and the '97 is a single wire..same with the knock sensors ..like i said just swap the motor/fix the harness and change the ness parts to function correctly..and call it a day. it would take you more time to swap the ecu, cluster, dash, harness..etc to make the '00 ecu work, than just simply fixing the '97 harness
Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:25 PM
Awesome, thanks for your help, Edge, I greatly appreciate it. It looks as though it is all for nil. I got the engine bay gutted this weekend, and my niece comes over to check out the progress, and now shes cool with using the 5 speed. Hoooray! Finally, I seem to have knocked some sense into her, I did have to promise to teach her how to drive it though, but alas, at least shes stepping up. I have only one quick question. Now that I am installing a manual transmission into a car which originally had an auto, am I going to run into some major issues/hassles? Also, the shifter looks quite big compared to the console which is already in the car. These parts came from a cavalier, and are going into a sunfire. From all of the info I have gathered, I thought that everything should just swap right over. Perhaps I am being paranoid, but, any suggestions anyone may have to head off any headaches would be appreciated.
Saturday, May 28, 2005 2:38 PM
97 injectors = low impedence and 99+ are high impedence so watch for that too.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, May 28, 2005 10:22 PM
who told you $65 per lifter? that better come with a bottle of lube bc that is rape! i rebuilt me head on my 2.4 in feb and i found lifters at auto zone for $15 apiece.
Sunday, May 29, 2005 1:07 AM
Did you pick up that engine/tranny from that guy on Craigslist? It was posted in the South Pacific forum and it was a hell of a price, I didn't know you're the one that got it.

Sunday, May 29, 2005 5:47 AM
Dude, I have been going to Autozone and Checker for YEARS. I couldnt believe it either, here in Phoenix, I called dozens of stores, no autozone could even GET a lifter IN STOCK, and they were listing for 65 bucks, no joke. The only place that even stocked them was the Chevy dealer, and they wanted 75! And yes, I did pick up the engine from an ad from craigslist. 2000 mile trip, but totally worth it, the engine and all of the parts were spotless, it was 100 times better than I was expecting. And the guy that sold it to me, Ricky, totally cool, you couldnt ask for a nicer kid. It was refreshing to actually deal with someone cool after dealing with the rest of California's population, which, to say the least, wasnt as cordial as Ricky. lol
Friday, June 10, 2005 1:02 PM
John,

If you still want my cf mirrors let me know. $50 and there yours. Brand new. I sent you email so just email me back.

thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search