Greetings from Lima, Peru - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Greetings from Lima, Peru
Sunday, May 29, 2005 12:03 PM
Hi ppl!

I'm from Lima, Peru, South America and 4 days ago, finally purchased a 1996 Cavy - basemodel Sedan, 5sp MT. I was looking for a Cavy since months ago and I'm so happy to know that exists an awesome site like this. I'm not wanting to turn it into a riced ride, but some "sleeper" mods would be fine.

Furthermore, I'm an active member of the Chevy Corsica's page and own a 88 V6 5sp MT Corsica (L body), but due to the fuel consumption I'm selling it (no more space in my garage).

Although, we have Chevy dealers in my country (since a few years ago) they only offers the Astra, Corsa, Vectra and LUV models. the Cavaliers -or Corsicas- are rare cars. I used to import parts from the US and Canada through EBay, luckily there are some main parts available around here (trans, engine, electrical).

As far as I know, my Cavy was produced in Mexico ("3" as 1st VIN number), but my mechanic said it has a 2.0 engine, I told him that the 2.0 were unavailable in 96 models (only 2.2), but he insisted that it's a 2.0 stock, same as the 2nd. Gen ones... the engine doesn't show me any numbers. Anyway I feel that it's a 2.2... Do anyone knows the specs/performance numbers for a 2.2? TIA.

As final words, thanks for reading this and for the future feedbacks... expecting to make good friends and share our knowledge...

-underground-

P.S.: Sorry for my poor english skill level (our primary language is spanish)... still learning... lol

Re: Greetings from Lima, Peru
Sunday, May 29, 2005 7:42 PM
Well im glad to be the first to welcome you. Your car will have a 2.2 OHV engine in it. I belive the 2.0 was a SOHC and it was a turd unless it was the turbo. It was in the older cavvys etc.
Searched real quick and found this :
-2,189 cc 2.2 liters 4 in-line front transverse engine with 89 mm bore, 88 mm stroke, 9 compression ratio, cast iron block, light alloy head, overhead valve and two valves per cylinder
-Unleaded fuel
-Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 6.5
-Multi-point injection fuel system
-Main 58 liter fuel tank
-Power: 90 kW , 120 HP @ 5,200 rpm; 130 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm

Its not in gallons or miles but eh.
Hope that helps.

Sunday, May 29, 2005 8:55 PM
also....don't worry about your english skills, its better than half the people on this site, myself included

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Monday, May 30, 2005 2:37 PM
mikec2003 wrote:also....don't worry about your english skills, its better than half the people on this site, myself included

This is true.

WELCOME!!!

Monday, May 30, 2005 11:46 PM
Thanx guys!
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:40 AM
Welcome!!!

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:12 AM
Welcome to the website. I was told all of the 2nd generation cavaliers are at least 2.2 but maybe they were wrong. Why don't you get a second opinion. I would. Good luck with your car.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:50 AM
I am guessing your VIN will tell you what you want to know - assuming you still have the owners manual that came with the car. Do you? If no, you might be able to find someone over in the 2nd Generation Forum that can get the information to you via their manual.

Just a thought.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 10:00 AM
96 is a 3rd gen

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 7:56 PM
My bad...

First Generation Forum
Forum specific to the 1982 to 1987 J-cars

Second Generation Forum
Forum specific to the 1988 to 1994 J-cars.

Third Generation Forum
Forum specific to the 1995 and newer J-cars.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 10:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback, the 8th VIN number shows "4" it means that it's a 2.2, but something is going wrong, cuz the 7th. number is also "4" (automatic seatbelts)... and mine are manual ones...

Yep, I'll ask someone else abt the engine, maybe I'll post some pics. thx!

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 5:39 AM
Maybe automatic seatbelts means self locking...not the motorized ones. Just a thought.

How much $ is gasoline in Lima these days?
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:55 PM
In Lima, there are 5 kind of gas available:

84, 90, 95, 97 and 107 (available only in 1 or 2 gas stations)

The prices are:
84: US$. 2.96 x gallon = US$. 0.74 x litre
90: US$. 3.96 x gallon = US$. 0.99 x litre
95: US$. 4.21 x gallon = US$. 1.05 x litre
97: US$. 4.68 x gallon = US$. 1.17 x litre

Also, as automotive fuel, we use Diesel and Natural Gas... and in the next year the Propane Gas will be available.
Thursday, June 02, 2005 5:38 AM
Today I paid US$ 2.05 x gallon for 89 octane. Fuel here in tha staes is still very cheap.

Gas prices too high? Not by historical standards
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20050601/cm_usatoday/gaspricestoohighnotbyhistoricalstandards
Thursday, June 02, 2005 5:39 AM
Sorry about my spelling problems above!
Thursday, June 02, 2005 7:28 AM
i know a girl from lima as well.. i'm from canada though like... way waaayyyyy far from lima.. but this girl a while back i met on the net... i talk to her all the time now.. so i know lots about lima and peru!

Thursday, June 02, 2005 6:37 PM
Hi friend. Welcome to JBO. I suggest you check out the FAQ and Main Library where you can find many info about our cars. Inclusive you can decode your VIN number, getting all info about the specs and options included in your ride.

Also you can find great tech info and specs here.

Regards,

PD: Bienvenido y Saludos desde Venezuela.

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Friday, June 03, 2005 10:32 PM
Hey Gab, that sounds cool, ask to your friend how many Cavys she can count in Lima... , btw, the girls around here are pretty nice! Don't miss her! lol

Sorry for using spanish, so, couldn't resist : ˇHola Eliot! Me da mucho gusto encontrar a un latino y casi vecino en este foro... me siento más en casa... ˇGracias por el dato!
Saturday, June 04, 2005 2:48 PM
Hey underground I am really glad to hear about latin friends here, in JBO. I am more than happy to help you, well as much as I can.

As we said in Venezuela, "otro pana (amigo) más con quien contar"

Regards,

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Monday, June 06, 2005 6:39 PM
ahhh come on!!! lol.. i've been trying to get that girl from peru to teach me spanish.. she's tought me a bit but... i can't understand it very well... i'm french though! and the granmar is a bit similar

Monday, June 06, 2005 9:04 PM
Glad you found this site and glad you are enjoying the Cavalier.

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.

Monday, June 06, 2005 10:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys...

btw ::off topic:: spanish and french are latin languages, so the grammar is similar... come on Gab, don't give up... lol... if you need some help, feel free to ask me...

Tonight, a friend -who is a mechanic- told me about my engine... and his words were like a slap on my face... "Your Cavy has a Toyota engine"... "Whaaaaaaatttt???", I replied... "Yep, it's the same engine of those Japan-imported Toyota Cavalier with the wheel changed from right to left..."... "Oh... my...", were my final words (in spanish of course)...

Anyway, ran back to home and took these pics... were taken with my cellphone, it's the reason of why looks crappy... Please! someone tell me if it's true what my friend told me.... TIA

Monday, June 06, 2005 10:33 PM
Wow... Ok. Toyota didn't make engines for the Cavalier, ever. That looks like the standard 2.2 engine to me, I could be wrong because I never owned one of those. Should be roughly 120 HP. GM built it. I also may be wrong in what I'm about to say too, but didn't Toyota Cavalier's only come with "GM's" 2.4 L engine?

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.
Tuesday, June 07, 2005 7:20 PM
oh i don't know about that... i know the toyota cavlaiers had the same 2.4 engine yeah.. i'm not sure about anything else but eitherway i'm not sure if it was a gm engine or toyota engine... no clue... but about spanish.. yeah! i'm not giving up one day i'l be able to speak spanish :p with a french accent! ha ha...

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 2:00 PM
yup, that's the 2.2L I used to have it in my 95 cavalier, also the Toyota cav came with only a 2.4L.

Oh and Welcome

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search