98 LS 2.2 going turbo - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 LS 2.2 going turbo
Friday, November 08, 2013 4:22 PM
recently came across a garrett tb25 turbo with intercooler. i want to slap it on my 98 cavalier LS 2.2. can someone help me figure out whats gonna keep me ride from sploding? lol tuning software is a must for the bigger injectors. and how much of the top end needs rebuilding? And anything else that might help is greatly appreciated. not overhauling quite yet just wanna make it work without breaking. HELPPP

Re: 98 LS 2.2 going turbo
Friday, November 08, 2013 5:23 PM
Not sure how big that turbo is (i think it's a little smaller size). Assuming you get all the parts that are needed (manifold, wastegate, bov, fmic, injectors and tune) you can run a stock motor boosted.

I ran a stock motor on 5psi, but that's nowhere near the limit (yes I realize psi is relative). I was probably 180 or so whp based on track times.

Depends on how much power you wanna make. I think probably upwards of 275 or so would be safe on stock parts for a long time with a solid tune.

If it's a "put it on and see what happens" I wouldn't be afraid to do it on stock stuff.

This is assuming the motor is healthy to begin with. Just make sure it's tuned well.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, November 08, 2013 5:40 PM
i bought the car from my dads aunt with about 80k on it and it was very well taken care of.

The turbo is a low pressure turbo with a wastegate already built onto it. its cooled with oil as well as coolant/water both of wich have to be tapped into id imagine.

My first main question was about the fuel injectors. i was gonna go ahead and get 1000 cc but i know thats too big, unless i can tune them properly for less power. that way theyre there for when i go bigger : ] is it woth the 500 bucks for tuning software or should i just pay someone to do it for me?

As far as power i wanna get as much as i can and stay street legal lol i wanna see how fast i can make it go... i do have a cheap cold air intake and chip if that helps
Saturday, November 09, 2013 7:11 AM
Id stay away from the largest injectors you can find. I have experienced different nuances with different injectors and the larger they have been the more "interesting" it's been tuning with them.

Personally I would find someone with hpt that's local that can help you tune it. It's been my experience that this is a solid way to do it and you only need to buy the credits and then reimburse he person tuning.

Street legal is a bad way to describe how much power you want. personally I would get all the supporting parts, line up a tuner and start out small. Low boost on the ln2 really wakes it up and makes it fun to drive. It won't be super fast at all but it'll be enough to satisfy you while you learn more about the car and building for high power boost etc. that's the way I did it. Started on a stock motor with 5psi and now it's a built motor running 20 (when I finally finish it will dyno it, I estimate somewhere around 300whp right now).

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:45 PM
Ok..... if im paying someone to tune it in the end shouldnt i just let them worry about tuning them and just buy the big ones? If not, how big do the injectors need to be ya think? plus what are the other bare minimum parts needed at the start of it all

And what i meant about the street legal is just dump as much into it as i can but still run pump gas and all ya kno start it with a key and not put anything huge in it that requires removing any lights and that kinds stuff..... just making a mustang hunter lol
Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:05 PM
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvPhoclpUxw][/video]

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:21 PM
pick up a set of lsj injectors. They are great for your application and can usually be had on css for about 30 bucks. All youll have to do is wire them in.
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:30 AM
Quote:

just making a mustang hunter lol

IMO, all you need for this is a basic turbo kit. 80% of mustangs out there arent actually THAT fast (the new 5.0 cars are quite impressive though). I would just get a manifold, front mount, BOV, Wastegate, Boost controller, Oil feed and drain, 1 step colder plugs and bigger injectors and run it to as high of a PSI as it safely can. Youll be quite satisfied if youre just looking to beat on some mustangs lol. I would look for used injectors as suggested. There are plenty out there that come stock on other cars that will be plenty of injector for a small ln2 build. You may want to upgrade the fuel pump and pressure regulator if your power level is high enough. I got pretty far on those when they were stock though.

Quote:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvPhoclpUxw][/video]

That was a really hard video to shoot lol.

Friday, November 15, 2013 10:27 PM
so i've been researching that cheap chip i told you about and the word seems to be that they're a total scam and there is no reason to even get one.

im thinking that thing may be the cause of my unusually bad gas mileage, and since im gonna be putting money into the ecu the right way for me turbo, maybe i should just take it out?

anyone familiar with these dime a dozen chips that promise instant hp and mpg ???

i admit i bought one back when i first got the car and im starting to feel kinda like a dumbass for it
Saturday, November 16, 2013 3:54 AM
That "chip" is the reason your fuel mileage is so bad.
Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:13 AM
I bought one of those "Chips" when I was like 16. It was a waste of $20, but we all learn from it LOL.

HPT is the only way to tune the stock PCM for performance. Thats what you need to do for turbo tuning.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:31 PM
Damn i thought so. Thats where the dumb feeling came from. live and learn lol.

So anyways if anyone else is doing or has done something similar to my project id love to see some pics or videos if you've got them. Also anything helpful such as problems i might encounter during the build.... maybe.... i promise to do the same : )

Its only gonna START as a mustang hunter lol. We're gonna slowly move our way up the D-Bag food chain in due time.

But as the schedule goes, it seems my window for installing this thing is closing with the coming holiday unless i can get these injectors in time, im looking at those lsj ones for the cobalt should i go with the 60lb or 80 lb?
Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:00 PM
stock LSJ are 36lb which is fine for around 12lbs of boost. There is a factory upgrade for LSJ's that are 60lb injectors once again can be found on cobalt ss all the time.
Monday, December 16, 2013 3:14 PM
Roadblock! having the good ol fashioned overheating problem now. WILL definitely turbo after io figure out just what the hell is going on. ill keep ya posted
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search