Hello from Vancouver - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hello from Vancouver
Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:55 PM
New here, just picked up a 2003 Cavalier base model 5MT last monday. I always had respect for these cars, view them as under appreciated by non-car people and just plain car snobs. Car has minor body damage to the rocker panels in a few spots that was DIY repaired by the previous owner and has 2 minor dents on an otherwise nice body. No rust anywhere and the car was obviously well looked after over the years, judging by it's cleanliness. I'm coming from a 2011 Chevy Cruze, selling it to buy a newer family vehicle. This Cavalier is my work/runabout car. After reading negative comments about the interior of these cars in car mags, I was impressed by the interior in person. It's in line with everything else of the same vintage. After owning a new car for 4 years, I look forward to doing my own work on cars again!

Re: Hello from Vancouver
Thursday, July 16, 2015 1:53 PM
Vancouver Canada?

From that area myself.
Not very many of us left around here though. To many Honda lovers around.

But welcome!
Thursday, July 16, 2015 5:23 PM
Yes sir, Maple Ridge specifically. When I first started looking at used cars, first thing a lot of people said was look for a Toyota or Honda. Most are at least double what my Cavalier cost me though. No way that one 12 year old car is worth double vs another. A few people in my family have put over 300,000Km on these cars in Quebec and Ontario, so if they last that long with the salt they use back east all winter they will last twice as long on the south coast.
Friday, July 17, 2015 10:51 AM
I live in Surrey myself but work downtown. I agree, it's silly that a 1990 Honda hatchback is worth $2000 but a 2000-05 cavalier is worth $2000. Both equally as @!#$ty. I own a blue 01 2 door cavalier and I occasionally drive the streets of Maple Ridge when I visit a friend out near 242nd street.

Might see you around.
Saturday, July 18, 2015 9:48 AM
That's what makes these cars a good buy, a $2000 1990 Honda civic is pretty used up no matter how low mileage it is. Anything plastic or rubber on it will be hard and brittle regardless of wear and tear, including wiring, interior parts and oil seals. I'll take a newer domestic over and old import at the same price every day. Before buying this car, I wanted a 2000-2003 Mazda Protege 5. I stopped looking though, most were priced between 3000-5000. Then factor in the repair work that every used car needs and it's just not worth it for such an old car. I got this Cavalier for $1400, it has a broken coil spring and a broken exhaust hangar and a shifter that wobbles, making it hard to find 1st gear, and almost worn out rear brakes. I'll fix it all myself for maybe 200-400 bucks. After that, it's a great deal for an otherwise decent car with an engine that purrs.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search