'00 Sunfire Vert Totaled, Side Impact - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'00 Sunfire Vert Totaled, Side Impact
Monday, January 13, 2014 6:50 PM
I bought this car in 2011 and just put a new top on myself, put a new timing chain tensioner, flushed trans fluid, new alternator, new AC compressor, all systems tweaked to perfection and everything in top condition. My daughter always drove cautiously, she was not a fast driver even though the car was pretty torquey. Anyway, coming home from work roads had patches of ice she was going 25 mph in a 30 mph zone knowing roads were iffy. A 2012 chrysler mini van comes around the corning in opposite direction she was going, my daughter saw the van sliding and loosing control, she tried to get the sunfire over as far as she could then as the van was ready to hit her she held on and closed her eyes. She got pushed off the road and luckily there were not telephone poles or trees. We did not have collision insurance on the car and no eye witnesses. Although my daughter took plenty of pictures. The woman admitted fault to her insurance company and we got a pretty good check, more then what we could have sold it for. And to fix it would have been more then that. Car still drove fine and rocker and floor were not bent. But I knew it was the end of the road. My daughter loved the car and I learned a lot about j-bodies and nice of cars they can be when they are fixed up and running right.
Attachments
100_2979.JPG (1286k)

2000 Sunfire GT Convertible (daughters car, totaled Jan 2014 RIP)

Re: '00 Sunfire Vert Totaled, Side Impact
Monday, January 13, 2014 6:54 PM
Here it is getting towed away by insurance company.
Attachments
GettingTowed1.jpg (1092k)

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:58 PM
Here it is just a few weeks before hand with the new top on and all shined up. It was a very strong runner....
Attachments
AfterNewTop.jpg (1013k)

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:00 PM
Here she is sitting waiting to be towed away by insurance company.
Attachments
100_2980.JPG (1372k)

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:13 PM
Up to this point the Sunfire was an all original paint never been hit car in excellent shape. But as bad as this is could have been worse no one was hurt and we got a good check from insurance company.

Anyway, there is a happy ending. Searching high and low for another Sunfire vert along with many other types of cars we came across an all original 98k mile clean car fax '93 Civic real Si 5 speed never been modified car. These are super rare cars. Most did not survive over the years. So we were able to work a deal (well not really a deal the guy knew what he had, we paid good money for it) but since my daughter was responsible and she lost a car she loved we went ahead and bought it. Its a super awesome car, very very tight, like a new car. We only threw in a few hundred dollars above what insurance paid out so we could make it happen. We plan to keep the Civic stock and just take care of it and hope for the best going forward. While my daughter loved the Sunfire she likes this car much much better. It really is a super nice car....
Attachments
BethCivicSi.JPG (1272k)

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:27 PM
Oh wow nice civic!!!!
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:47 AM
That is a REALLY nice civic! Too bad about the sunfire but this is definitely an upgrade. Also, I'm 100% jealous of your garage situation

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:56 PM
Couple more of Civic. And Yes I agree its a big upgrade over what she had. Would have loved to find another really nice Sunfire vert but we came up short on our search....
Attachments
Si_8.jpg (66k)
Si_4.jpg (71k)

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:14 PM
That exact civic hatchback is my dream car.
I feel you when you mean they are hard to come by clean.
I would have a tough time keeping that stock.
Thing rides like a go cart when you build the suspension on it.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:46 PM
Just happy to know you're all ok.
side impact is not a strong suit for the J body
d
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search