Chevy Colorado 3.7L i5 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Chevy Colorado 3.7L i5
Monday, April 11, 2011 7:50 AM
Hey guys. I'm in the process of trying to get into a new vehicle. I've decided on the Colorado z71 with the inline5 engine in it. Now I've had 3 different people tell me not to get that motor, but no one will tell me why and I can't find anything catastrophic online as to why either. Any insight? Heard anything?

Kris

Re: Chevy Colorado 3.7L i5
Monday, April 11, 2011 8:05 AM
My dad and his friend both have that truck(05 model). They have had no problems out of it.

Monday, April 11, 2011 8:06 AM
I know our 3.7l here at work idles like crap, and has since new. It has 80,000 on it and running fine, even though it is our engineering endurance test vehicle.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, April 11, 2011 9:02 AM
I think its more a power issue than a reliability one. I drove one and thought it was a touch gutless for its rated power. Gas mileage is pretty good, though.

O noes!
Monday, April 11, 2011 9:06 AM
Gutless is the only thing I can think of....

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:09 PM
mine's a 2008, had to have the exhaust manifold replaced because it's cracked.

Front end tire's wear unevenly on the edges making it look like an alignment issue, Tire noise is quite annoying as a result.

start up when engine cold and it makes a growling noise until it watms up. I have seen many do this for some reason.

Rear brakes if they are drum have very little shoe on them making them replace 3 times more then the fronts.

Ryan1

Monday, April 11, 2011 8:32 PM
Thanks for the insight. Still seems less catastrophic than what these people were trying to make it seem like. Should know tomorrow if I get approved

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:22 AM
mechanic said they first came out they had massive recalls on them and they are the most troublesome motor gm put out. thats just what i heard. i have no experence with them.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:35 AM
Yeah I even spoke to my mechanic too, and he couldn't even think of anything. I guess that's what warranty is for eh? I know they had a 3.5 i5 when they first released the truck,
But then quickly moved to the 3.7... I wonder if that's the motor that had all the probs?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:03 AM
they are just rough engine that dont have good power and get sharty mileage for the size. i would stay away but thats just my opinion
Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:04 AM
I'd actually opt for a full size.

Bigger, more power, can haul more, can tow more, gets close to the same mpg, and is about the same price....

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:36 PM
colorado is a bastard child from gm. too big to be compact but not big enough to play with the big guys. cant wait for a new s10. you would be better off full size. seeing as the 5.3 can go with little throttle you should get same mileage. i know because my trailblazer had the 4.2 and to get it going you had to goose it, same effective mileage as the v8. maybe 1 to 2 mpg better on highway but more driving style really.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:31 PM
When they were new, they were said to have the omph of the 4 cylinder and the MPG of the V6.....But maybe that was the 3.5....

Everything Louder than Everything else
Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:22 PM
The one I test drove seemed fine for power, I was looking at the full-size, however it's too big for my wife, and I just wanted something smaller. Just waiting to hear from the dealership on whether or not I got approved for it. I appreciate the responses tho! I wouldn't ever buy the ford ranger, and the new Dakotas are ugly as sin... Lol

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:44 PM
Why are you so against a Ranger? You ask for advice, everyone tells you they are troublesome and whatnot, yet you say you are against a Ranger(which is a reliable ass little truck!), but are going through with buying it despite all the reviews and insight. Why do people bother asking for advice if they ignore it? I hope you enjoy yours, but don't come back bitching when things go sour or you don't like the fuel economy of that gutless tub.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:00 AM
Hey now, I was just asking what the problems were with it. I'm against a ranger because I've driven them in the past and really don't care for them. I won't come back and bitch about anything, I'm actually pretty excited about the fact that I finally get something new. Never happened to me before. Like I said, thanks for the advice, I just wanted some insight as to why I've hears mixed reviews.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:10 PM
Ended up going with the 5.3L v8 canyon, didn't get the amount approved for the crew cab inline 5, and the extended cab v8 was cheaper. I think it'll be better in the long run with the advice u guys have given with regards to the troubles. Thanks again pics soon when I get it on sat

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:20 PM
Very, very good. You'll love it.
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:33 PM
Thanks I hope so. These next few days are gonna drag on until I can pick it up!

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:20 AM
So u got a time tested, more reliable motor cheaper than the one everyone warned you about? Sounds like a big win to me!

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:31 PM
Dimitri wrote:When they were new, they were said to have the omph of the 4 cylinder and the MPG of the V6.....But maybe that was the 3.5....

Pretty sure you got that backwards. My brother has been a master tech for GM for a looong time and said they appear to be bullet proof compared to most other motors. He still has only worked on a couple and for minor things.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:15 PM
What does reliability have to do with gas mileage and power? Quoting that made no sense to the point you're trying to make.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:16 PM
Copter wrote:
Dimitri wrote:When they were new, they were said to have the omph of the 4 cylinder and the MPG of the V6.....But maybe that was the 3.5....

Pretty sure you got that backwards. My brother has been a master tech for GM for a looong time and said they appear to be bullet proof compared to most other motors. He still has only worked on a couple and for minor things.

My cousin was replacing heads in H3s all the time when he was working in a Hummer dealer.

Monday, April 18, 2011 7:48 PM
The 3.5 had head problems, the 3.7 seems to have solved that. We had 60k on the the 3.5 in our old h3, and 30k on our current h3 with the 3.7. no issues so far

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Monday, April 18, 2011 8:51 PM
dad had one as a company vehicle for a while and mileage actually sucked...

where is geeds when you need him?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search