replacing O.E.M - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
replacing O.E.M
Friday, March 17, 2006 8:56 PM
i was wandering if there was a way to replace the o.e.m steering wheel on my cavalier. my dad said it wasn't possible unless you disable all the airbags in the car and then take the wheel off and put your aftermarket one on loll is this true. and if so is there labled instructions on how do change the wheel step by step.

Re: replacing O.E.M
Friday, March 17, 2006 9:18 PM
your dad pretty much has the right idea....and if i remember correctly theres this mystical little thing called the search...can be usefeul sometimes if i am not mistaken

2002 Cavalier 2200----- Buffalo, NY
Friday, March 17, 2006 9:34 PM
thanks for the info very helpfull.............oh yah my thought was if someone else was gonna search on it why not profit from it lol UGHGHGH sucks to be a vet ehh
Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:55 AM
Everyone's response here is to use search . . . I swear, people are lazy as hell these days and can't even give an educated response cause they think they are too good for or something . . .

Yes, you'll have to disable your air bag system. That means passenger side as well. Supposedly when you remove and disconnect the driver side, the passenger side runs on the same current/switch so that will be disabled too. In some states, it could be illegal to adctually put on a different wheel.
Saturday, March 18, 2006 12:50 PM
dont quote me on this, but it may only be illegal IF you dont tell your insurance you removed the air bag or that the air bag system is disabled. There are still cars out there without air bags and some with air bags that were not replaced after accidents, so i dont think having one or not is really a legal issue, but insurance fraud would be if you dont let them know (and whether or not you have air bags does effect your rate)

Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:35 AM
Illegal or not, I think it's stupid on a street driven car. Having a nicer looking wheel isn't worth compromising the safety of the car.

Modifications should improve your car, not put you in danger.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search