supercharger AND turbocharger combined? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
supercharger AND turbocharger combined?
Friday, March 10, 2006 6:22 PM
Maybe this is a noobish question... but why in the world would you run both a turbo AND a supercharger... I searched but to no avail... could someone just explain what the point of a setup like ...

Re: supercharger AND turbocharger combined?
Friday, March 10, 2006 6:24 PM
Its been argued a lot, personally I'd rather just have one big turbo and maybe some nitrous to spool it...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, March 10, 2006 6:25 PM
by having the s/c on it it actually makes the motor act like a bigger sized motor and also allows him to spool a turbo larger then usual, once he has it setup the s/c will stop making boost @ a certain point allowing the turbo to pull the top end

Friday, March 10, 2006 7:00 PM
yes that would be mine.... i spool the turbo VERY!!!!! quickly... and i dont know any 2.4L that can spool up a T3/T04E 60 trim turbo to 10psi at 1500rpm..... i have driven turbo cars before... and still do, but this has a different feel to it...

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Friday, March 10, 2006 7:07 PM
Twin charging is uber neato. Seriously, sweet car Josh.

-Teske

Friday, March 10, 2006 8:06 PM
josh your car sucks, youll NEVER hit 10 psi with that headwork!

Friday, March 10, 2006 8:33 PM
How about a noobish answer...
They used to do that on oil burners in the 50-60s on trucks/tractors to improve combustion efficiency/performance.
Gas engines react the same way, the S/C takes up the lag from the hair dryer and the hair dryer makes up for the draw from the S/C.
Friday, March 10, 2006 10:36 PM
Quote:

I searched but to no avail... could someone just explain what the point of a setup like

Honestly...did you really search?

Theres was a BIG thread about this a few days ago.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=102711&t=102711

RE Audio
Saturday, March 11, 2006 1:07 AM
there is about 5 BIG threads on this... i am surprised this doesnt have 100+ posts already like every other one with nothing but complaints...

silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:05 AM
I continue to be jealous every time I see the pics...

Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:11 AM
theres a pretty old post about subaru WRX with a twin charge setup also. its somewhere in the other car forums. its basically what lafngas said to make the motor act like its bigger

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....

Saturday, March 11, 2006 10:17 AM
Josh F = JBO pioneer

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:27 AM
lol..... the search button must have been broke........

as far as twin charging goes....... I'd do it if I had the money.....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, March 11, 2006 4:45 PM
My input: A properly designed efficient turbo setup will always work better.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Saturday, March 11, 2006 5:12 PM
people think "OMG ITS TWIN CHARGED SO IT MUST RUN 10'S", thats not what its about, i say this project is about can josh make it all work and be differant than the average j-body person with a single turbo or charger system.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 2:09 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:I continue to be jealous every time I see the pics...

ahah thanks man... but i feel the same way about your car ... MUCH!! cleaner looking then mine... so i guess we can be jealouse of each others cars

Z Speed Cavi wrote:theres a pretty old post about subaru WRX with a twin charge setup also. its somewhere in the other car forums. its basically what lafngas said to make the motor act like its bigger

that and i talk quite a bit with a guy who did this with a Jackson racing supercharger (Eaton M62) and the same turbo i have (T3/T04E 60 trim) on his 1.6L civic... he ran both system seperatly first and got dynoes on them, then added them togeather and his end result was only about 10hp more then what the turbo made... but compairing his Power curve was where there was a HUGE!!!! diference... the space under the line in the Twin charge set up was insain compaired to his turbo and even supercharger only set ups... this is where i am looking to be different from most 2.4L turbo set ups..

Phlatcav wrote:Josh F = JBO pioneer

ahah thank you... i wish it was like that.. but instead because i have done somthing different and so because of that i am look down apon almost... its like im an out cast freak ahahaah... but this project + this web site did show EXACTLY!! how people react to somthing they havent tryed or seen before, even though you would honistly be surpsied at how many PM's i got on people wanting to do this but not sure and now that i have sucsessfully done it they want to do it now.. so i wouldnt be surprised if you see more poping up

SpeedRacerZ wrote:lol..... the search button must have been broke........
as far as twin charging goes....... I'd do it if I had the money.....

Yes i am very lucky money is no issue for me... cuz this kind of a project deffinatly requires a fair amount... but i hope now that i have done it i can help others to do it with out buying the unnessary parts.. cuz there was alot of stuff i bought and had to really, and ended up not using them or cutting and hacking them up and realizing i could have done it a cheaper/easier way

Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:My input: A properly designed efficient turbo setup will always work better.

you think you could get as steep of a power curve on a turbo set up? (not being an ass just asking)

BOOSTED wrote:people think "OMG ITS TWIN CHARGED SO IT MUST RUN 10'S", thats not what its about, i say this project is about can josh make it all work and be differant than the average j-body person with a single turbo or charger system.

exactly... sorry boys i just HATE! following others.. doing exactly what they do... granted the body kit is the same as alot of people and such but there are things that are out of your control and i know i could do all this custom stuff to the body but im more of a performance guy then a show guy.... that is why i dont have a custom out side.... but for performance i like to try things and be different... and i think being the only one ever in north america or what ever to have a twin charged Jbody is pretty original to me...

Sunday, March 12, 2006 2:20 AM
Honestly, yes. For example. Compare 8.5:1 compression and 20 psi vs 10:1 compression and 10 psi. Give me 10:1 and 10 psi. Exactly what we're doing with our project turbo civic right now. It only takes 6 psi to light up first and second gear on some of the stickiest street tires on the market. The civic pulls harder at 1/2 throttle, not even into its powerband yet, than my car does at WOT. Properly designed and efficient forced induction setups can be unstoppable if tuned properly, depending on strength of the motor. I'm not dogging on your project, don't get me wrong. But Twin Charging projects are pretty much good for shock value and that's about it.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:35 AM
yes but see you need 20psi... where as im doing it on 10psi.. there is a HUGE difference there... plus for track im going with some slicks... so no street tires here...

If i boosted to 20psi it would be bigger then your set up on 20psi... you have to speak in relitive terms here same with the compression ratio....

Sunday, March 12, 2006 11:16 PM
for anyone interested, this is a hot topic on cobaltss.net, sorry i left you guys, i havent been on here in a while, so i wanted to drop in and let everyone know im still alive, lol, with a new ride
Monday, March 13, 2006 8:19 PM
most twin charging aps are for cars that are already super charged. i can see the uniqueness in twin charging a j, but i can't see spending the money when you could just build a massive turbo setup for the same.
Monday, March 13, 2006 10:38 PM
Effex... my car was already supercharger

and money wasnt really an issue here... and a masive turbo would give you HUGE lag but big top end... a smaller turbo would give huge low end but no top end... and medium turbo would just give a nice clean low and high end power

my set up has a huge turbo thats giveing me huge low end power and insain top end power....

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:54 AM
Seriously, I have been considering doing this aswell, being that I have the turbo setup aswell as the supercharger, I am just lazy. Plus the amount it would cost for a motor build is more than I am willing to do right now. I have to agree, I think josh is a pioneer and all u haters can b just that and believe whatever cause u don't understand. It doesn't necessarily give higher hp numbers, it gives a better wider more direct powerband! Aka, there isn't as much lag! U can say that if u properly do this and properly do that, u will get the same result, blah blah blah, but guess what, anything u add to a car performance wise gives power in a different way. Are you going to find a turbo that's going to add power like a super or vise versa? No! They act totally different, give power totally different. Oh whatever, haters aren't gonna listen anyway.....

Josh, ur the man, wish I did it first! Keep playin the game, playa!

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:34 PM
Thank you RaGiN Z let me know if you want help ever for this... its not as expensive as one would think... and now that i know what parts you need to get extra it would be even cheeper for some one to do it... i can easly make out a list for any one wanting to... i can list out every thing from parts just for the turbo kit to parts to make this set up work together...

see you guys have no idea how many PM's i have gotten about people wanting to do this but not posting about it cuz they know what your reaction will be... i personaly enjoy hearing some of the dumb @ss comments and hearing people trying and tell me how it wont work when you can clearly see they dont have a clue...

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 5:18 AM
Dude, u gotta get that thing dynoed! I wanna c the dyno chart! If it looks anything like I think its gonna, I am soooooooo gonna do it! What did u do 2 build the motor?

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:10 AM
Wow raginZ, you sound like a very unexperienced person aka not much knowledge in the industry. (Haters, haters, haters)
On thing for Spootaby Racing aka in this post SR:
This is solely from my opinion so please NOONE take offense as none intended!
I couldn't agree more SR, I have a Turbo and it is a T3/T04E 60-1 .63 A/R Stage III wheel
Everyone says lag this lag that, but is there really lag if your car is set up properly, OR is there really lag where it matters.

One thing I want people to answer me where I experience lag??? Please tell me.(Not being smart or anything)
*Lets see a few things.
My Turbo doesn't spool up to 3500 RPM, so that would I guess be considered lag, but I thought I could just down shift to 4500 and insta-boost! Fixed problem.
*Lets try another one.
Off the line/Out of the hole at the track I don't spool up until 3500 right? Wrong, I ride the clutch coming out of the hole at 5500-6000 RPM on slicks. Insta-spool.
*How bout, someone wants to do a ROLL race from a 50 which in our trannys are too high for 2nd gear like 5500 rpm and if you hit it you will just light up the tires, and too low for 3rd you will be at too low RPM's and won't spool up fast enough. Wrong.
I put it in 3rd gear and break boost the crap out of it get my 16 psi and ride out like a bat out of hell.
* And last but not least. At the track spooling too late in each gear will give you bad times. I don't think my 11.90's are bad, but some people might. Don't know.
If I ride the clutch at 5500 rpm and catch on slicks I get full boost, 2nd I am above 3500, shifting to 3rd again I am above 3500 and 4th as well, so I never fall out of boost thanks to this tranny gearing.

So one more time, I think lag is overrated and a stupid excuse to use when it comes to Turbos.

As for Josh with the Twin set up, I fully support it and I think if that is what you want then it is ALL it MATTERS.
Thank you for helping Steve (Blue), and good luck.
I totally understand YOUR points of view just discussing lag

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search