what makes expensive seats better? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what makes expensive seats better?
Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:47 AM
a plus sells what looks like great seats for 220 a pair, but what makes spracos and recaros 2000 dollar seats so much better.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"

Re: what makes expensive seats better?
Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:30 AM
What i've experianced I got a set of $300.00 dollar racing seats. I experiance that the cheaper seats are less quality, Don't hold up aslong, My leather is starting to fade and @!#$ getting old, No padding. Not the sparco my friend has are real comfortable and had them for aobut 4 years and no problems i had mine for about 2 and all the problem acurring with the leather fading, where the seatbelts ontop goes black thing are broken just poor qaulity.
Saturday, March 18, 2006 12:50 PM
Look at how nice these look...
LINK

Saturday, March 18, 2006 2:37 PM
you could also be paying for lightweight seats as well which raises the price significantly
Saturday, March 18, 2006 2:49 PM
my cheap seats are holding up great. i paid $220 for them off eazy. im not sure what the retail price for them is but i love them.

P.S. if anyone has an idea what my OTTO-R seats retail for id like to know.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Saturday, March 18, 2006 3:49 PM
personally, I prefer stock seats, theyre made for ur car. just get them reupholstered and ur set

Saturday, March 18, 2006 5:00 PM
Quote:

personally, I prefer stock seats, theyre made for ur car. just get them reupholstered and ur set

yea except they have 0 support and kill your back after more then an hour in em.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 5:56 PM
Stock seats from another car yeah, stock J seats blow. 200 miles a day in my Z seats your back is killing. 200 a day in my Celica seats is sweet since they have adjustable lumbar
Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:00 PM
SUPERFASSSSTZ, T.Ocav soon wrote:
Quote:

x2......the stocks seats really arent that bad...really theyre not.

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:41 PM
seats like sparco seats are designed and made for racing, high saftey standards cheaper seats could be made by joe blow in the back of his moms bread factory. you just dont know. just becareful what you buy and look at the construction of the seat not just the pretty material your ass is sitting on. im sure some of the cheaper seats out there are just fine. but im sure there are some cheaper seats out there that are using cheaper materials that may not hold up in a crash

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, March 19, 2006 4:07 AM
Also, if you're serious about car shows, judges know cheap seats vs. good seats

Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:33 AM
I think the most important aspect is the safety. Do you honeslty think any thought was put into safety with the cheap seats? Do you think the company spent money on a single crash test?

Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:48 AM
Quote:

im sure some of the cheaper seats out there are just fine. but im sure there are some cheaper seats out there that are using cheaper materials that may not hold up in a crash

i agree with this fully. there should be some system for testing and rating aftermarket seats for crashworthyness. but it will also depend on the strength of the brackets, mine are all welded, therefore they would hold up better in a crash as apposed to someone who used zip ties to mount there seats.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 11:50 AM
SUPERFASSSSTZ, T.Ocav soon wrote:
Quote:

im sure some of the cheaper seats out there are just fine. but im sure there are some cheaper seats out there that are using cheaper materials that may not hold up in a crash

i agree with this fully. there should be some system for testing and rating aftermarket seats for crashworthyness. but it will also depend on the strength of the brackets, mine are all welded, therefore they would hold up better in a crash as apposed to someone who used zip ties to mount there seats.

There IS such a system. If you look at Sparco's and Recaro's and the other reputable brands, they'll have certain certifications that tell you they'll hold up.

The certification system is designed for racing, but is also a good reference to know whether the seats are designed with any quality standard in mind or not.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 1:58 PM
I don't know WW I don't think Jason would sell crap. I know what you mean by safty tested but their are different levels of safty tested too. Sparcos are designed for one thing, raceing. They are from what I'm told uncomfortable to drive with for any period of time. No I don't have first hand knowledge of this but rather only what I've been told by some of my friends that race S.C.C.A. and N.A.S.A. and these guys should know.
Personialy I'm thinking about the ones Jason has for sale but I'm also looking at the Weapon R seats which the cheapest I've found them are $440.00 for the pair shipped to my house. From what I'm told the Weapon R ones and Jason's should both feel about the same.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 2:40 PM
Jason is running a business and will sell whatever people will buy.

Here is a link to ghetto-fabulous coilovers on his site that nobody should ever be allowed to buy: http://www.aplusperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_247_534&products_id=3450&osCsid=2bb67b263739eff14c72916f3af3f2cd

Just because he is a reputable dealer and a good guy to deal with doesn't mean everything he sells is good. People in the j-body world don't spend $1000 per seat. If that's all he sold, he'd never sell any and other people would be getting the sales for the cheaper stuff.

It's not his fault people don't want to pay for quality.

Not everything Sparco sells is uncomfortable and only for racing and if you want the best... check out Recaro's line. They've got everything from high-end luxury to full-out racing.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 2:41 PM
The cheaper seats are usually "cheaper" because of the materials sometimes, or because they didn't have the R&D or crash testing to do...

The above notes are right in the fact that I highly doubt the cheaper seats were crash tested, since they all they did was knock-off an APC seat 90% of the time.

I feel they are still decent seats, especially for the cost.

www.TaillightTinting.com #1 SOURCE FOR VHT NITE SHADES
www.aPlusPerformance.com BACK ONLINE SOMETIME SOON!
PHONE 763-682-9945

Sunday, March 19, 2006 3:35 PM
Agree, Jason is a good Business man, but the org is a large part full of people who want a cheap alternative. He stands behind his products when there is a problem such as a manufacturs defect as opposed to the durability of the seat.

You get what you pay for all in all. Somethig that holds up and has been tested properly will cost you more money. Same goes for body kits etc

http://www.aplusperformance.com
http://www.modified-motorsports.com
Monday, March 20, 2006 11:05 AM
I guess so WW. I think I misunderstood what you were saying about Jason. Sorry for any confusion on my part as I must have mis-understood what you were saying at first.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, March 20, 2006 11:44 AM
I say Factory seats ensure the safety standards of OEM ONLY if installed with a quality made set of custom brackets by someone who KNOWS metalworking (not Joe Blow in his garage with some 1x1/4" steel strap).

As for aftermarket seats, you will always get what you pay for...you want cheap seats, get cheap seats. You want comfortable seats, pay for comfortable seats. And if you want comfortable AND lightweight race seats buy some Bride, Sparco, or Corbeau, and expect to pay extra for the real quality.

Cheap knock-offs are just that.... Cheap Knock-offs. You wouldn't Buy a Geo Metro and expect the performance of a Ferrari, so don't buy E-bay no names and expect top namebrand quality seats.

The seats from Jason at A+ I'm sure are great seats, and if anything goes wrong with them, I know he tries his best to stand behind what he sells. If you're going for aftermarket seats be sure to get something with brackets designed to fit our cars...or be willing to pay someone with the right skills to make a bracket for you.

Safety is more important then comfort IMO... doesn't matter how comfortable your seats are when that random A-hole t-bones you... does matter if the seat stays in place and holds you safe.

My Car Domain
Monday, March 20, 2006 12:17 PM
Jackalope wrote:I guess so WW. I think I misunderstood what you were saying about Jason. Sorry for any confusion on my part as I must have mis-understood what you were saying at first.

Yeah, I was trying to phrase it all in such a way that I wasn't knocking Jason or his company. Everything I've seen and dealt with when it comes to A+ has been great.

Monday, March 20, 2006 12:25 PM
Quote:

Orlandomon Online
Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:49 PM

personally, I prefer stock seats, theyre made for ur car.

but not made for taking turns, or otherwise sitting in.

I'll take anything over stock.. even a lawn chair

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:14 PM
agreed weasl wasnt knocking jason, jason couldnt afford to run a business if he had to saftey inspect every product that came thru his doors. nor is really his responsibillity. he is offering you a product for a price, if you want an expensive seat go for it, if u want a cheap seat go for it, he offers all levels of gear. he doesnt know what you plan on using it for, if you have a show car that is trailored to shows having a seat that is crash tested isnt nessicarily needed.

as for coming up with a system to rate seats as said there is on. and part of the reason the knockoff are cheapers is because they dont spend the money to have them tested, this is part of the reason they are cheaper, its easiy and cheap to take a design allready on the market and copy it.

this is why you need to do your own investigation to the products you want to buy and fit your needs the best and not rely on someones opinon.

as far as wether sparco's are comfortable it all depends on you. every person likes diffrent things. if every person had the same comfort level all seats would look the same all couches would be the same etc etc etc. some people think tenzo's are very comfortable. for me they arn't, i love my corbeaus but im sure there are people out there that dont feel comfortable in them. so test them out before you take someone elses advice on comfort. remember its not his ass thats going to be in the seat

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:23 PM
TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:
Quote:

Orlandomon Online
Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:49 PM

personally, I prefer stock seats, theyre made for ur car.

but not made for taking turns, or otherwise sitting in.

I'll take anything over stock.. even a lawn chair

lol

i just pictured a lawn chair in a J

painted black to match the interior!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:27 PM
I took a ride in my friend's MR2 when he first got it. He had a set of Corbeau composite shell full race buckets. You know, the ones that don't recline? Now, I must admit, getting my big ass into his car was a little awkward at first, since I'm 6'3" and hovering right around 280 pounds. But I gotta say even after riding in his car for 3 hours straight, and getting the piss beat out of me the entire time, I felt completely fine. No aches or pains, no fatigue, nothin. I can't do the same in my Cavy's stock seats. Hell, a set of aluminum Kirkey drag seats with their foam padding are more comfortable.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search