shortening shifter manual - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
shortening shifter manual
Monday, March 20, 2006 1:40 PM
I bought a 96 Pontiac Sunfire in October 2005. Ive had it stored over the winter while i waited to get my license. I ve recently gotten it out of storage an am starting to do something to make the car personalized. My next project...along with getting it road worthy... was to cut the shifter down. Its a manual transmission so there arent any concerns of cutting wires but i was wondering is there a proper way to do and does anyone have any interior pictures of a Pontiac Sunfire that has had this modification. And are there any concerns i should have about cutting this (eg. damaging anything)

Thanks alot

Re: shortening shifter manual
Monday, March 20, 2006 1:53 PM
no cutting.....get a short shifter. search all forums for "short shift"

you'll get alot of info

Monday, March 20, 2006 2:17 PM
Are there generic short shifters or do i need to look for one specifically for a pontiac sunfire??
Monday, March 20, 2006 2:20 PM
i believe they are car specific

check with all the JBO dealers

aplusperformance.com
gravanatuning.com
carcustoms.net
jbodysource.com
turbotechracing.com

even try ebay

Monday, March 20, 2006 6:27 PM
B&M makes one specifically for the 95-99 Sunfire/Cavalier. That's what you need.

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:40 PM
its around 200$ well worth it
Monday, March 20, 2006 7:47 PM
Ehh... I cut mine. Use a dremel or something of that nature.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 4:15 AM
you can cut it if you want, it wont hurt any but it wont make the throws any shorter, it will just be more of a comfort thing

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 4:33 AM
I cut ours with a hacksaw.
j

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:13 AM
I just made it level with my arm because I always rest my arm on the arm rest when I shift. I didn't do it for "performance," I did it for comfort.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:50 AM
here too, i cut it with a hacksaw....

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:29 PM
moo?
anyway, as far as the shifter goes, B&M is the only way to go, by far my funnest mod, and easiest to install. but wether you do it for comfort and just go cheap and cut it down, or if u go out and actualy buy the short throw shifter, if ur radio is in the top slot like my 02 cav, and if ur a lazy ass like me that likes to rest your arm on the shifter while changing stations, it sucks LOL

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:35 PM
Anybody above who CUT there shifter down for the comfort aspect about how much did you actually cut??
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:45 PM
about 2 3/4 inches
j

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:08 PM
I got a B&M short throw shifter and cut it down alot here is a pic of it

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:16 PM
Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:11 PM
if you cut your shifter, and are installing a new knob using set screws for the Love of god USE LOCK TITE!!!!! OR ELSE YOU WILL BE PISSED OFF BECAUSE IT COMES LOOSE IN ABOUT 2 DAYS. ARGH!!!! well mine did and i throw it pretty hard.
Saturday, March 25, 2006 9:37 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]you can cut it if you want, it wont hurt any but it wont make the throws any shorter, it will just be more of a comfort thing

Not trying to be an @!#$ at all i'm just trying to get my self educated here because to my understanding... by cutting the shift you ARE reducing the throw, i dont see how its not, because if you take a... lets use a broom...... you have it stood upright, you measure on the very tip top of the stick how far it moves when you lean it from exactly 90º straight up and down about... what?... 30 - 40º ish either way then repeat only say 1/2 way down the handle its going to be shorter right? explain.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 9:46 PM
and just somethin reallll quick i have a 98 sunfire 5spd and the shift boot and park boot is one piece, but i noticed a couple of you have regular boots with what im assuming a fabbed piece of whatever or fiberglass can anyone elaborate where i'd go to get that piece?

Sunday, March 26, 2006 7:54 AM
^^ All the cars in those pics (and most cavs that I know of) have separate boots for the shifter and the e-brake from the factory.

-Crystal

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search