2001 cavalier factory radio upgrade - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 cavalier factory radio upgrade
Friday, February 25, 2005 9:57 AM
hi all-i just joined and i am glad to be here. it's good to find people that know what they're talking about! i've owned 3 new cavaliers-a98, a99 and an01. i still have the last two and my question is about the 01. i've already read john lenko's article about aftermarket radio installations (great info.) and my question is this: my 01 has the factory am/fm radio. if i buy and install a factory am/fm with cd player from a junkyard or private owner, i'll use one from a2000 cavalier for example, will it work and play correctly? i have talked to 2 chevrolet dealer service departments and they both say to make the new radio work right that they will have to flash the computer in my car, to let the computer know that there is a different radio now. i find this hard to swallow and i want to know if anybody out there in j-body land can verify this! i have a nice aftermarket am/fm/cd and i have no quams about using , it just seems much easier to use a factory, stock, am/fm/cd radio if it will plug in and play without a trip to the chevy service dept. chevy got ALL the money they're going to get from me when i bought these cars! i do All my own work, that way i know it's done right! any light anyone can shine on this subject would be greatly appreciated- again thanks- good to be aboard- roger

Re: 2001 cavalier factory radio upgrade
Friday, February 25, 2005 11:20 AM
All you have to do its plug it in and go. Its all the same you sholdnt have to relash your cars computer if you want you can just unhook your battery and hook it back up so your car reprograms itself. good luck with your cd player i wish mine work but says check cd and spits it out.

Friday, February 25, 2005 12:34 PM
I think they might be right. As a theft deterrent system, I believe the deck codes itself with the VIN from the computer and will not work if installed in a different car. Thus, if you take one from a 2000, it won't work in yours until it's been reset by a dealer.

I'm not 100% sure on that, but I think it's true. They went this route when they stopped having you punch a code in every time you removed the power.

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:50 PM
I don't know about the application, but I have a 2002 Z24, and will sell the factory AM/FM, CD/Cassette deck cheap. Everything works fine, it has only been out of the car for a month. Make me an offer if you're interested. Email me @ bnisonmbt@yahoo.com if interested.

Gotta keep on livin', L-I-V-I-N
Monday, February 28, 2005 6:25 PM
I have instructions on how to do the "flash" without having to go to the dealership. I have not tried them, and as long as it is kewl to post them, I will do that.

Moderators???

R

Need to find me a Quote...
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:20 AM
If it's just a matter of pressing the right combination of buttons or something, I don't imagine there's any issue with posting them. If it involves crossing wires or otherwise doing something that people shouldn't be doing (basically the equivilant of hotwiring the car) then they shouldn't be posted. We're not real keen on helping out thieves here.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:39 PM
Not sure who to give credit to for this. I found it online.

: : GM Theftloc Bypass
: : 1. Press and hold presets 2 & 3 for about 10 seconds until the first 3 digits of the 6 digit display code are displayed (If it displays 4 digits you have a 4 digit code so, skip step 3)
: : 2. Write the numbers down.
: : 3. Press the AM FM button, write down the next 3 numbers
: : 4. Call 1-800-537-5140, when asked, enter 206010, (the 2 is a Pontiac dealer, the 06010 is his ID number) press the “*” button and enter the 4 or 6 digit code from the radio, you will get an unlock code, write it down.
: : 5. Go back to the car, and follow the model specific instructions from the owners manual to enter the unlock code.
: : To remove customers code, repeat step 5. you should see --- on radio face, the code is now out of the radio.

Hope this helps, and that no one gets offended.

R

Need to find me a Quote...
Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:06 PM
Yes you will be able to use a radio from a 2000 in a 2001. What i suggest is to get a radio from a 2002 malibu with am/f//cd/cass.

My opinion of that one is that it is awesome. the screen is nice and takes up the whole
width of the unit. it has auto tone settings.

But after install the unit will read "LOCKED". You will have to go to a dealer and ask to have the radio unlocked. they do not need the VIN of the vehicle the radio came out of. all they will do is hook up to OBD II and reprogramm the BCM to accept the radio.
When i did mine it only cost a flat $25 to unlock

Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:09 PM
On the 2001s you MUST go to the dealer there is no unlock codes any more after i think 2000

Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:32 PM
I did exactly this on my 04 fire a little while ago. I replaced my factory am/fm with a cd from an 01. You WILL have to go to the dealer to have it flashed. The unlock codes above only work for the pre-whatever theftlock radios ... I think it says in the sticky which years were manual unlocks and which years need the flash. The radio will have to be plugged into the car before taking it to the dealer. After plugging it into the car, the radio will play for a couple of seconds (don't get your hopes up!) before displaying "lock" on the display. I took mine around town and all of the dealers said anywhere from $50 - $80 to flash it. I waited a few weeks,, then went back around like I had never asked before, and I found a service tech which said "that only takes a few minutes to do, bring it around back" ..He did it for no charge. I really like the way the factory radios blend with the interior. I think aftermarket decks look too out-of-place for my tastes. Anyway, good luck.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:34 PM
one other thing... the radio only needs to be flashed if it was actually installed in another J. If you get one of the ones off of e.bay, for example, which are brand new and never installed, my understanding is that they won't need the flash because they've never set themselves to a particular VIN.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:23 PM
hey i just took the stock am/fm cd player out of my 2001 cavalier(just an hour ago) if you want it let me know, i have no use for it.

nkirk86@gmail.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search