Tire Tread Direction? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tire Tread Direction?
Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:17 PM
Quick newbie question. When mounting tires onto a rim, does it matter what direction the treat pattern faces? Here is an example pic:

Once more, does it matter if the tread pattern faces the front or the back? Thanks!

Re: Tire Tread Direction?
Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:24 PM
yes it matters, if its a directional tire, most, if not all directional tires say direction>>>>>>> on them, of course, mount them that way

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:47 PM
Yeah, it's critical that they be mounted correctly. With most high-performance tires, they can only be mounted one way. Check the sidewall as mentioned and remember this when doing a tire rotation. Only rotate from front to back.

Unidirectional tires can go on either side so if you have those, you can use a standard tire rotation pattern.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 3:19 PM
look on the side of the tire...

Matt

Quote:

What day is it again?.... I don't sleep enough.....

Saturday, March 05, 2005 3:35 PM
So if it doesn't say on it, then I am to assume that the tire is unidirectional? The pic I posted above is the actual tire I am working with. They are the 18" Goodyear Essenza's.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 3:46 PM
those are directional, notice that the tread itself kinda "points" one way....

this for example is a non-directional tire, and can be mounted either way. the thing to remember on directional tires is that when the car is in forward motion, the point will first hit the ground.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Saturday, March 05, 2005 4:27 PM
Ok I understand it now. Thanks guys

Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:28 PM
Take another good look at the sidewall. If there's no arrows, it likely says either "left" or "right". That's what side of the car it goes on.

And for any complete idiots out there... make sure you're looking at the side that's on the same side as the wheel face you'd be looking at if it was actually on the car.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:30 PM
lol

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:45 PM
Them suckers are monsters haha! I have low pros just lil guys

-LamboCav-
Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:52 AM
just rember that 2 of them will point the other way just because of them being on the other side of the car had a friend that mounted his tires half right others backwards

Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:38 PM
yea make sure they go the right way. when i had my car painted they put my wheels back on and they swapped the sides and i didnt notice til it rained. i couldnt go over 40mph without sliding all over.

Monday, March 07, 2005 5:52 AM
notallthere wrote:just rember that 2 of them will point the other way just because of them being on the other side of the car had a friend that mounted his tires half right others backwards

All of them will be "pointing" the same way. If you've got two "pointing" backwards then they've been mounted on the wheels backwards.

If you drive through some dirt, the tracks on both sides should be identical.

Monday, March 07, 2005 7:07 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:
notallthere wrote:just rember that 2 of them will point the other way just because of them being on the other side of the car had a friend that mounted his tires half right others backwards

All of them will be "pointing" the same way. If you've got two "pointing" backwards then they've been mounted on the wheels backwards.

before mounting the wheels on the car, most people will lay all four wheels face up. if so, then YES, you will see two treads going in the opposite direction.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:16 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:

thats exactly what I was meaning just couldn't get it out right

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search